TCCoA Forums banner

Exhaust question

795 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  NoJoKe 
#1 ·
I just want you guys to know i've been using the search part all day reading up on exhaust for my car (1990 Cougar LS). Just so none of you tell me to. Anyway I was wondering if I could just get this BAM! for my car without the resonator. Do I even need a resonator? I asked ChromeTip on how he did his and it seems pretty good on how he did it so I will prolly go by what he says, I was just wondering if I could do this and not buy the resonator. Any more information would be helpful to me and my quest to make my car sound better:D

#3 ·
having flowmasters in the back will make it drone really bad if you dont have the resonator. having a mid-mounted muffler reduces drone if you run it to the back. It may not drone too bad being a v6, but I know the v8's are pretty loud inside when the mufflers are in back (flowmasters). It would probably sound pretty good from the outside though.

You might look for the Dynomax super turbo kit on Summit's site also. it would be more quiet outside, but also quieter inside. They're almost stock sounding at idle, but have a nice roar at WOT.

Custom exhaust is another way to do.. I had my entire setup done for not much more than that flowmaster kit, and it includes high flow cats, 3" main pipe, 3" flowmaster muffler, new downtubes (which you dont get in the kit), etc.

Dont rush into your exhaust. Research and be patient (its hard) or you'll regret it and end up spending more money than its worth (speaking from experience)

[/ramble]

#4 ·
I would advise that you use a resonator. The 3.8L drones without one. I'm pretty much against exhaust kits, as I think you can get a much better deal (and a better job/install) by having an exhaust shop custom build an exhaust system for your car. If you've searched, you've likely seen the work that I had done on my splitport 94 LX. I'm running 2.25" downtubes w/Catco high flow cats into a Magnaflow resonator with single 3" to dual 2.75" turndowns. It's relatively loud, but doesn't have the terrible drone that is often present when a resonator isn't used.

Hope that helps.

-Rod

#6 ·
I'd be interested to find out what you finally get Phork.
I'm looking into a new exhaust system for my 3.8 as well and I just started my search.:D

#7 ·
there is deffinetely a drone on the 3.8 without a resonator. And it gets reeeeally annoying when you're on the highway or interstate because the engine runs constantly at the same RPM that just happens to be when the exhaust is it's loudest. I like your thinking about going to exhaust shops and seeing what they can do for you. I'd say get rid of those cats and put on some higher flowing ones. But if you're not really going for a high performance car it's not really needed. It sure makes it easier to change the starter though.

I also had my exhaust custom done at a shop but I went pretty much all out on it so the price was higher. The pictures are on page 7 of my website in my signiture.

-Thomas

#8 ·
u dont need the resonator i got flowmasters an i took out my 3rd cat an resonator an my car sounds like a V8 its incredible i got a single chamber muffler.

#11 ·
i will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.