TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not familiar with anything exhaust wise but i was wondering what a glasspack is and if its something that makes the car sound throaty, can i keep my stock system and put a glasspack where the resonater is? will i hear a difference? will there be that annoying hum at 2k rpm?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well...

I don't know if it could be put where the res is or not...but I have a 25" Dynomax Thrush muffler with 22"x3" tips out the rear. It sounds pretty good. Not what I was looking for but it's the only muffler I could get to fit. I kept the resonator and put it under there in the other straight part. It's not too bad at 2000-2500, not too droany at highway, but I just turn the system up. It's not annoying to a great degree. Actually since I first put it on it's starting to sound better. Nice rumble when idling and you can hear it when Iget on it. Clearance was an issue under there though...it hits the rear suspension a bit and i can hear it when I first start if up but it goes away. So for a quick cheap exhaust mod go for it, the muffler was like $22 from advance auto parts. Any more questions just ask.

Glenn

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Alex said:
I'm not familiar with anything exhaust wise but i was wondering what a glasspack is and if its something that makes the car sound throaty, can i keep my stock system and put a glasspack where the resonater is? will i hear a difference? will there be that annoying hum at 2k rpm?
That annoying hum is the exhaust resonating. thereis a TSB on how to elimate it.

A glass pack is named so because it contains fiberglass another name for them is "cherry bombs". Typically, after the pipe enters, it is perforated, and all around it is a fiberglass packing (it look like cotton only looser). They don't muffle much, and are usually very cheap.

IMHO, don't do it. the v6 needs a resonator to keep it from sounding like rice. If you want a good exhaust, get the biggest resonator you can find, and run without mufflers, or put glasspacks in place of the mufflers.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks GreenBird! Is there any particular kind of resonator I need or can I just ask the muffler dude for the largest resonator?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i have duals...

i have custom duals, not true tho cause of the stupid gas tank jog, but i love it idle and almost everything about the sound. its not ricy at all, but the in the mid 2000s/early 3000s there is a kinda annoying sound, but if i hit those roms i have it floored and it passes quickly and sounds great afterwards. i never get that sound under normal acceleration caus ei dont reach that rpm range. i am runing 2 1/4", no cats, no resonator, and 2 flowmaster 40 series with 2.5" x 9" chrome tips pointed down out from under neath my 94 sc bumper on my 90 n/a. -greg

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Alex said:
Thanks GreenBird! Is there any particular kind of resonator I need or can I just ask the muffler dude for the largest resonator?
Go with Bassani. But if your on a budget, go with whatever is cheap.Don't spend more than $20 for glasspacks, they are all built the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts