TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the stock mufflers, looking at Flowmasters. Anyone know of a place online I can get a set fairly resonable? Cheapest I can find in town is $120 each installed.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
buy them on ebay and them have them installed at a local muffler shop, that's what I did
bought my two flowmasters for $30 a piece (new) $70 shipped to my door then had them installed along with some other things (piping, turndowns..) $50
hope this helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Rich95XR7,

Is that a hitch in that picture? Exactly how much weight will a V-8 Thunderbird or Cougar pull? I'm thinking about pulling something. And where did you get your hitch?
Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blkbeauty96 said:
Hey Rich95XR7,

Is that a hitch in that picture? Exactly how much weight will a V-8 Thunderbird or Cougar pull? I'm thinking about pulling something. And where did you get your hitch?
Thanks,
Brad
I think you would only be able to pull a small boat... maybe!

Mobile home.... doubtful :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SanDiegoLXBird said:
blowmaster :thumbsd:

Suck it up and buy some real mufflers.
K, send the check to.....

I think it's a matter of preference as to what exhause system someone wants. What do you have Sparky? :D

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
I'm still running the stock exhaust until I can afford to do it right. I'm not a fan of doing things twice.

Besides... the thing about FLOWmasters, is that they don't.

And if you must know the future setup will be as follows,

Kooks Midlength Headers (not sure what size just yet)
2 Highflow Cats
2 1/2" Tubing
1 Borla Dual in/Dual Out Muffer
Center Exit and chrome tips of some kind.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SanDiegoLXBird said:
I'm still running the stock exhaust until I can afford to do it right. I'm not a fan of doing things twice.

Besides... the thing about FLOWmasters, is that they don't.
I ran one on my Jeep Cherokee that I used to have, my step dad had one on his Astro (don't laugh). I have never had a problem with them.

What brand would you recommend then? :confused:

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Alot of the guys here have good results with Magnaflow or Dynomax. Greenbird posted a chart a while back that showed HP/TQ gains (or losses in the case of the blowmaster), and DB levels. A search should bring it up. I don't have the link off the top of my head.

What will I be using? See above. I edited, sorry. ^_^

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
NO MUFFLERS!!!

(cuz Im cheap)

MG:tongue:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Magnaflows baby, all the way!!!!!!!(see above pic) They actually flow, unlike flowmasters. The main problem with Flowmasters is the interior resonance. I had them on my car for about week, and then took them off as soon as humanly possible, the noise on the highway was just too much. The funny thing is, my Magnaflows, after they got broken in, are louder on the outside than the Blowmasters, but nice and quiet inside the car.

Oh, and yes that's a trailer hitch, and I've towed a 1200lb trailer with the Cougar from VA to OK and it rode like a champ. You'd be surprised how many of us here have the hitch on our cars. Just to name a few off the top of my head: Sir William, Johnny Langton, OzzmanG149, WKenneth had one on his before he sold it, so it's not like it's rare to see one on an MN12 with a hitch. I ordered mine through a trailer company, it's a lot bigger than most of them you see, and it cost around $250.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
My dynomax is pretty quiet... I donno from the outside of the car cause Im usually in it when driving it....I like quiet tho, less of a giveaway...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Rich!
I am thinking about pulling my 2 ATV's with it at times. I have a 2002 Explorer..but its not always around when I need it (The wife has it!). I know my 2 ATV's weigh about 1300lbs buy themselves then I would have to add the weight of the trailer....maybe 500lbs more.
What do you think?

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
cut the mufflers everyone will swear you have flows, sad but true thats what everyone told me when i had 2,5" turndowns out the butt on my bird, that and the whole getup w/ tips may cost less then 100 bucks, o and buy the way, on a stock exhaust, put flows will not slow ya down, your still stuck behind 2" single exhaust, flwos out flow stock mufflers so it can only help, you can only improve on stock

i have magnaflow now, the most unique sound ive ever heard on a car

center mount, dual 2.25" in, 2.5" out, im soon to cut the front two cats (the only two remaning) and see how much louder it gets with just the one muffler, and ima pop on 18" long chrome tips, 3,5" wide baby, hick stylin ;)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
JoeyICU said:
cut the mufflers everyone will swear you have flows,
B.S. I've never heard a TBird with no mufflers that sounds like flows. With no mufflers, they sound pretty ricey to me at high rpms

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
JoeyICU said:
put flows will not slow ya down, your still stuck behind 2" single exhaust, flwos out flow stock mufflers so it can only help, you can only improve on stock
More BS. Do some searching, you'll see that flowmaster actually loses power at certain RPMs. And IIRC, the testing was done vs a stock exhaust. (gains/losses)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts