TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to replace my single exhaust sometime soon. i have heard that you cannot do true duals, is this possible and if so how. i have a stock v6 93 bird. i want something thaat when i am at idle i have a throaty sound but when i put m foot down i have a mean sound coming out. also casn i put a mustang exhaust setup on the bird

·
Super Moderator
9,303 Posts
Unfortunately in your case mandrelbentexhaust.com only sells the complete exhaust for the 4.6s. You could, however, get some mandrel bends and fab something up yourself. There are plenty of pictures of the routing in the thread (hint: it's in the parts for sale section).

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
You can get true duals on your car... I have them on mine, lots of folks here do. However, you may want to reconsider. V6's don't always sound real good with true duals. You may go with duals after the bend around the gas tank, I've heard V6s done that way and they sound ok.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Unfortunately in your case mandrelbentexhaust.com only sells the complete exhaust for the 4.6s. You could, however, get some mandrel bends and fab something up yourself. There are plenty of pictures of the routing in the thread (hint: it's in the parts for sale section).
Sorry, but that is totally not true according to their website. Am I reading something wrong? Check out this link:
http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-251/89-dsh-95-THUNDERBIRD-EXHAUST-TUBING/Detail

True Dual exhaust for 89-95 Thunderbird with 3.8L V6.....

·
Super Moderator
9,303 Posts
No, you read it right... but that's just the back half. What I meant by my post was that you can't buy the front half with cats and x-pipe for the 3.8s like you can for the 4.6s.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
No, you read it right... but that's just the back half. What I meant by my post was that you can't buy the front half with cats and x-pipe for the 3.8s like you can for the 4.6s.
I figured that might have been what you meant... But I wanted to let the OP know he could at least get this much.

Traveler, I know what you mean about a v6 with true duals - they do sound different. However, we put a 4.3L Chevy in a Toyota pickup that was hopped up and included SS dual exhaust for mud running. We ALWAYS took 1st and 2nd place in the 4/6 cylinder class and was always getting accused of having a v8 not only because it went so good, but because it did kinda sound like a v8 Mustang with that big stainless steel dual exhaust. That example sounded GOOD.

Back in college, a friend of mine put dual exhaust on his FOUR CYLINDER toyota (the headers have two downpipes and he just ran them seperate to each side of the truck). It sounded like a lawn mower to me. That example sounded BAD. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts