TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres a rattle when i start my car.. it seems to go away when i put it in drive its pretty loud i put a new exhust on and it rattles. it rattled before but never this loud.. it sounds like mabee near the cats? and ideals?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
1st try jacking up the car and get some stands under it...use a rubber hammer, or dead blow hammer and tap it on exhaust components till you replicate the sound.... there will be the source of your noise... some analysis, kentucky windage and youll be able to tighten up, or pry apart the offending partz.... Good Luck

·
Registered
226 Posts
Odd, i get a wierd noise also, only when in park or nutural.. it's liek a whining clicking noise.. car runs fine, noise pisses me off tho ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmehhhhhhhhehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Mine is a guilty culprit of exhaust noise too. When it is in park or neutral it sounds like a buzzings/mild rattling mix from what would seem like the drivers side cat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes exactly

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Sounds to me like your heat sheilds on the cats are rattling. Get under the car and hit around like someone else suggested.

But rattling heat sheids are kind of common on these cars. Mainly older models!

Put the car into gear and hold the brake, then push the gas a little to bring up the rpms to where the usually are whenever it is out of gear..... see if it makes the same sound.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
tony i guess you beat me to it...all my tbirds i have had have made that rattle...my 93 almost every heat shield came loose.. and so did my 87....and they all rattled...then my 97 started...but i redid the whole exhaust which fixed the problem

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
I'd suspect the heat sheilds as well. It wouldn't hurt taking out the heat shield bolts, and replacing them...

...that's what I did on my car. It's rather easy with an impact wrench, and all the rattling is gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts