TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the flowmaster Cat-Back exhaust on my car and was thinking about taking the rear mufflers off and running some 2 1/2 or 3 inch exhaust tips off of the section where the exhaust splits into two pipes. I have the resonator and that is like one big *** muffler. It should help maintain the lowend tq. Has anyone tried running cat back with just the flowmaster resonator?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
That what mine is pretty much, I CUSTOM installed a Dual 2.25" in single 3" out flowmaster 50 inplace of my resonator with NO cats and it sounds pretty good, BUT there is not enough back pressure (I OVER did the exhaust on pourpose to future proof for the supercharger) I LOST about .2-.3 in the 1/4mile which SUCKS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been thinking of going that same route with my exhaust. I've talked to a lot of people and they said it sounds really good.

I haven't heard anyone mentioning loss of low end torque. You would think that opening up the exhaust would improve you 1/4 mile times, not make them drop like that.

Anyone else with a similar exhaust setup or know much about it?

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
actually, I've got a pretty kick *** system on my car. i got it custom done. i replaced the pipes after the cats with 2.25 piping. i dont have a 3rd cat by the way.....but at the resonator, i put a dual in/single out flowmaster 50 series. there is only one dual in/single out flowmaster. it has 2.25 dual in, 3" single out. my exhaust shop just put reducers on because i wanted 2.25 all the way through the system. then it runs a single 2.25 pipe back, split y-pipe after the differential and back to dual 2.25 chrome tips. i noticed a difference and let me tell ya......she purrs when she idles and roars when she's under throttle......just like a cougar should!!

Kyle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Me and my exhaust guy came up with the same idea. 50 series in place of the resonator and staight pipe all the way out.

Why did you run 2.25? We were thinking of 2.5 to 2.25 out the back or 3 to 2.5 out the back.

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
well i dont have an sc, so there isnt as much pressure going back. i wanted to not only save some low-end torque, but the biggest reason was so that i didnt get that ricey sound that happens when you go from a smaller pipe to a bigger pipe when the exhaust gas "mushrooms" and creates resonation. i've heard it on a mn12 before (glowing escape's) and it sounds nasty. so i decided to play it safe and go with the 2.25 inch. since you have an sc though, you could go bigger. just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
3 or 2.5

Thanks for the advice. The only thing I'm fighting with is whether or not to go 3 to 2.5 or 2.5 to 2.25.

If I run the bigger and it's too loud or I loose too much torque we were thinking of putting some glass packs at the end.

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
i would go with the 50 series personally, but since it hangs about an inch lower than the stock resonator, go with the flowmaster resonator. it's quieter than the 50 series, but since you have lowered the car, i'd play it safe and go with the flowmaster resonator.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chrome Tip:

Did you notice any loss in low end torque?

I am getting the rear mufflers taken off and getting 2.5 tips put on. Do you think that going from a 2.25 exhaust pipe to an 2.5 exhaust tip will make it sound ricey.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
totally off subject...

hey bagged90sc, got any pics of your car? that actually looks like a nice bagged bird, kinda rare to see those.
-Thomas

·
Registered
286 Posts
thanks.....i will probably submit pics to Scott at baggedbirds.com by the end of the year. i havent had time to finish installing my new bags in the front. i had cylinders in the front for a short while, plus i have to find an area where i can take pics with a nice backdrop;)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Chrome Tip's car i dont think had any loss really.. ive driven it with the new exhaust and an U/D pully, it sounds awesome, and it takes off real well... i had a little low end loss, nothing dramatic; but my plans for my exhaust for it to be v8 ready (but those plans have been pushed back a ways), thats why i didnt get a resonator or anything. its only ricey in the midrange of rpms, before and after its loud as hell and sounds pretty good. i think im going to do a little experimentation and throw a glasspack in as a resonator. thatll be a little interesting.... main reason why im doing it is cause its cheap and curiousity. my exhaust is 2 1/4" y'ed into a single pipe (damn gas tank), then y'ed right before the differential to two flowmaster 40 series. i got it all done for $330 with the mufflers, oh yea, its catless. i did however, notice a good amount of high end gain. not really a lot more power overall, but its making more earlier and its making more power higher in the rpm band. once i get rid of the raspyness, itll be great. oh, and once again, i highly reccomend Chrome Tip's exhaust. -greg

p.s. i've had people ask if its a 5.0.... thats only cause they heard the idle tho. its definitly deep and rumbly, and could be mistaken for a v8 at idle, but i still think it sounds like a 6.. maybe cause i know its a 6. i gotta find that 1/4 of a motor ford forgot to put in there....

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
yea, like greg said, i didnt notice any low end loss. definately top end though gained, but then i put on the u/d pullies and it went up more. sure, not much, nothing to write home about, but the gain was nice.

super6ter - if you go to the 2.5 tips, you'll be fine. i've heard that before on a gm 3.8, and it sounded fine. just dont put on a 6" tip with leds, and you'll be fine. gosh darn ricers......lol

Kyle

·
Registered
443 Posts
hey ChromeTip

i would like to hear how your car sounds...you must get an audio clip! i was thinking about going with the same setup but i didnt...i went with the dynomax catback then ditched the resonator and welded up a dynomax superturbo dual in single out...i want to take the mufflers off at the rear but just havent gotten to it yet...i would then have a similar setup like yours except the dynomax instead of the flowmaster...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
well.. minues that whine... its pretty close. in my opinion... i think there is a little diference in pitch that could just be the quality of the recording. -greg

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
yea, actually it sounds pretty damn close to that, minus that whine as greg said. i think mine's a little bit deeper though, and at idle, it's not as throaty. dont get me wrong, it still it throaty, but just have a deep, quiet hum when you listen to that, and thats about what it sounds like. i dont have anything to get a sound clip up, but maybe i can find someone with something.....i dunno, lol!

Kyle

1 - 20 of 30 Posts