TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i notcied a little diff in the exhaust note while i was driving... today i noticed it to. its not as loud as it should be ( straight pipe, v8) while iw as driving to walgreens today, i noticed it has a lack of the power it usually has, so after i came home, i let the car idle (was idling around 600-625rpm) , and went to the side and listen to the pipe to see if i could hear any bangin etc. i saw chips about half/16th in diameter comming o utta the pipe. kinda like a very tiny snow fall haha. and i was wondering, is this the catalytic converter finally breakin apart? car is a 1990 with 100,000miles on it. and i think i heard a little rattle inside the area of the cat... so i dunno what to think. if its the cat, its getting cut off and replaced with a pipe, and hope tp god it doesnt get a **** load louder... any ideas?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Yeah, it's probably your cats. Does the exhaust smell any different than it did before?

Joe

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
na smells kinda the same. some unburt gas lol....

so if its the cat its gettin cut off. does pep boys sell the pipe cutter chain thing?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
unburnt gas? well.. the cat is supposed to burn the unburnt fuel.. so ya, probably goin.. just use a hacksaw maybe ?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hacksaw would work, but if u saw the little clearance under there u would crap..

startin a job tmw so no time tmw hopefully weekend, my pipe cutter will come, cut the cat off and install a straight pipe, and i am REALLY hoping, it doesnt get a HOLY CRAP much louder...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Umm...unburnend gas is not supposed to reach te converter. it kills them. just a FYI.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know im runnin a little rich, i know rich kills cats, never said i didnt know.. cats gettin chopped off anyway. sound police can eat me

·
Registered
773 Posts
the cats will cut the exahust sound down a lot! you will get a lot louder with out them.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts