TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so on my car (a 96) i have my manifolds, flowing into two catalitics, then those flow (independantly) into my resonator, which then spits out 1 tube the goes to the make, which then breaks into 2 piece again, connected to 2 mufflers (already deleted). so my question is this, i want to just replace the resonator, and i was thinking of useing the Magnaflow #12258 but i wasn't positive on the sizes... will that one fit? it says single in dual out, but does it matter if i reverse that? and what are the actual sizes of the tubes flowing into the resonator, and then the single tube flowing out? all this info would be great, thanks for the replys

-j

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The two pipes from each manifold go into two cats, then the two pipes meet at a third cat. I thought I remembered that 96's dont have the resonator?? I know my 95 has a 3rd cat, then the single pipe goes to the resonator, then at the back it splits into 2 pipes, then one muffler near each end.

I'm assuming youre talking about the 3rd cat then. I don't know about aftermarket pieces, but the 3rd cat really doesnt affect things that much. A lot of people have eliminated it.... maybe we can get some exhaust experts in here, i just wanted to clarify things up first

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, then i guess i'm just talking about the 3rd cat then, because i know my set-up only has 5 pieces, and i've deleted the 2 end mufflers. i was always under the impression it had 2 cats and a resonator. but if thats what you refer to as the third cat then i gues thats what i'm talking about. thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
and does anyone know about the importance of flow direction with magnaflow mufflers? i really want to get one to replace the 3rd cat.... (i've been informed now that the piece between the mufflers and main cats is just the third cat, my resonator has already been deleted, is this correct?) and i think that will work... at least i hope it will. thanks for the help

-j

*ignore this, went to magnaflows site and found out myself. all mufflers are reversable :)*

the primaries from the first cats to the 3rd cat is 2.25 right? and the third cat pushes backa a single 2.5" pipe correct or no? i'm about to snag a heck of a deal on a magnaflow 14258 muffler, and i just want to make sure it will fit. thanks

·
Registered
2,983 Posts

I have heard that some 97s dont have the res. I dont know about 96s not having them. All the rest should have them stock.

-Shawn

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
My 96 doesn't have a resonator on it. It just has the 3 cats.

Russell

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
96 and 97 birds do not have the resonator just the 3 cats, the 3rd cat is very restrictive, take it out and you will DEFINETELY notice the difference. Most mufflers are reversable unless noted.

If you take out that 3rd cat, your exhaust will be ALOT louder, your still cramming it through the stock 2" (maybe) single pipe to the back, and if your is identical to the 97 stock exhaust, you should have a nasty compression above that brace towards the rear of the driveshaft. If possible i would replace your exhaust from the cats back. If you are super tight on money, deleting the 3rd cat will help alot. If you have the money, go for a dual setup. True dual will give you the best peformance, or a single 3" back until the rear split.

Hope that helps.

-Chris

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i definately dont have the resonator on there, weather stock or not... its not there, so now i really just need to know what the sizes are between the first cats and the third, and the pipe from the third cat to the back split. i heard mention of it being 2.25" before the 3rd cat, and 2.5" after... but i dont know if thats true. i know the two split pipes were larger then 2" tho, so i cant imagine the pipe only being 2" untill then. thanks so much for the help so far, almost ready to make a move on some noise :)

-j

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Are you sure that the split pipes in the rear are bigger 2"? I measured mine (used the circumference and a formula) before I got my mufflers and it was two inch. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if I am wrong the mufflers would not have fit right and they fit fine. I just replaced mine b/c they were flowmasters that a previous owner put on and they were blown out. Good luck on the exhaust setup though. I think the right exhaust sound is what separates your car from everyone else's.

Russell

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
FYI.. deleting the 3rd cat might cause a little rough idle every now and then.. but sounds a lot better....when i had my duals put on.. we ran it with just the catalytic assembly and it sounded awesome.. i took the 3rd cat off and the sound easily doubled in intensity....remember...it may idle a bit rough though... which is odd because there are no sensors in the cat or after it....

the longer you wait though.. the more it costs... so get it done!:D

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Removing the 3rd cat should not effect your idle. As you've stated there are no sensors back past the front 2 cats (2 before the cats, 2 immediatley after the cats). Again, shouldn't effect your idle, very odd that it did.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
back when we had the older bbs (right before this one) they said you might feel it get rough.. it did.. and no it wasn't as if i expected it.. i asked about rough idle and they asked if i deleted the 3rd cat..

i assume it is kind of like.. you take something completely apart to fix it, but when you put it back together, it isn't quite as good and solid as it used to be.. so everything isn't exactly harmonic with each other..

i don't know..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts