TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i started my car and noticed (if I'm not just hearing things) that my exhaust sounded a little different. Kinda like it was a little more growl to it, which has got me worried that there may be an engine problem. I don't have a miss or anything, at least I don't think so,but I have been having problems with the a/c. Today i turned on the a/c after working 12 hrs, and it was blowing hot air, and the glass fogged up. I turned it in and off a few times and finally after awhile it started cooling good. Also, when the car sits awhile, I have noticed, in the afternoon only, that sometimes when I start the engine with the a/c on, when the fan comes on there is a hellacious noise, like a scraping sound just for a second. Is my compressor going bad? Need help bad, it is driving me crazy and right now isnt a good time for me to have to take it to a mech to get a diagnostic done on it. I know some of the gear heads here are bound to have some valuble info for me, I'll be waiting, and thanks, Blazzy Train

·
Registered
130 Posts
a/c exhaust tone?

Hey Bradley,
Wow, what a set of bizarre circumstances you point out.

Quite honestly from the info described I can't give you a direct "here's the answer". You mention three things: a growl exhaust; an a/c that's tempermental; and an unusual noise when the fan kicks in.

Some things come to mind: first, I don't beleive that an "exhaust tone" is directly related to the fan (I'm assuming you mean the fan that delivers air to the ducts, rather than the cooling-fan) or a/c clutch. When your a/c is working, when you go to WOT does the a/c cycle off (it should)? Second, your fan may be in need of replacement; scaping sounds are rarely good. You might have a crapped out bearing that ready to seize. Third, the a/c is behaving badly. Although it is not unusual for hot air to briefly pass through the ducts when the a/c is first turned on, I think that it's unusual that hot air would cause your glass to fog. Is the fog kinda slimy? (that would be a trace of coolant and you might have a bad heater core). The "hellacious noise" might be the compressor, or if you have the auto-climate control, sometimes that unit goes nuts. I had a problem with my unit: when put to the auto position my fan would always run on max, and the a/c would always be engaged. Replacing the dash-unit was the only solution.

·
Registered
344 Posts
well this is what mine did....

brad, i got my car and had flowmaster mufflers put on it. they sounded great for a while but then one day they just werent the same anymore. i didnt think anything of it. my ac was never cold and then one day (which was about 6 months after all this started) my car overheated really bad. i took it to the mall i work at and used some of the tool from maintnance to take the thermo out. my thermo wasw bad and didnt let any coolent into the engine. in turn it warped my heads and when they took off the heads, which required the whole engine to be taken apart, they noticed that a head gasket had a tear in it. it didnt show up in any other signs of trouble. so we figured out that when my exhaust tone changed that it was b/c the head gasket had a tear in it, cause when i got the new head gasket put on and the head resurfaced the exhausty sounded the same again. i hope this isnt what is wrong with your bird cause it is very expensive.....i.e. $1,788.73 for everything. hope this helps a little on what ti look for to fix.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bird of Prey

Well, I got a new engine back in march. I ahve had the ac's cycle switch go out one time since then. I opened the hood the other day and noticed the cap on the a/c line was gone. One day after I started the car I think i heard this happen. I actually dont know if it is the cooling fan making the noise or the ac fan. The cooling fan comes on when it is supposed to. I have noticed a sqeaking also when i first start up, so it may be a bearing, but it only last a few mins. I have climate control. I usually have an INJECT-TECH chip in, but it is currently being reflashed, all I know is I am reaching my breaking point. Last year was a transmission, this year, $5000 engine, I can't keep this up. I cant trade the car b/c it has 183,000 miles on it, nor could I sell it and I don't want to get rid of it anyways, but something has to give. Thanks, Bz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts