TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a frien of mine just got a 95 t bird and wants to do the muffler delete.

i showed him this article http://www.cintcc.com/assets/tech/muffler_delete.html and he wants to know if he could just put the turndown tips where you cut the mufflers off and dump it right there and not put on the 18" pipe. and he also wants to know whether it will make a difference in the way it will sound.

thanks

·
Registered
740 Posts
That would NOT be the brightest of ideas....If there are any holes in the trunk area, or even if there aren't, there's too high of a risk of carbon monoxide entering the cabin.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh really? i didnt realize they would be that close to the cabin.

ill let him know.

wait so what about when people do turndowns underneath the car... does that create the same problem?

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Looks like the rust club to me in that article. Tell your friend to not bother or waste his time. I did what he wants to do and its a waste of time. I wish I had not cut off the muffs, the sound is so so and that is being generous. If his car has the kind of rust seen in the article tell him his new tips will rust up twice as fast. There is umpteen other things to tackle if a car is stock, exhaust is the least of them. To sum it up its not worth the trouble, you gain no power, you gets lots of tinny drone. Although I don't have any exhaust issues, even the emissions place didn't say anything.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i did it to mine and i like the sound a lot, it doesnt bother me at all.

and he liked the way it souned also, so he wanted to do it.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,607 Posts
mine's still like that unfortunatly, the biggest thing i regret doing to date actually. it sounds better than i expected it to at first, but the minute your sitting at a light next to a mustang or another 4.6 car with a custom exhaust you realize how horrible it actually sounds. its quiet at idle, buzzy and loud off idle, same for cruising speeds but not as bad, and for a brief moment between 4 and 5k rpm's it sounds ok.

and Splattered just for that comment your banned from the rust club:tongue:

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
i cut my mufflers off and put turndowns right after the rear wheels. i used only 2 turndowns a grinder and a welder. they face outward and do not dump under my car at all. while it isnt the best sound, i believe it sounds better than stock. here is a shot of my setup.

-John

·
Registered
789 Posts
Looks real clean with the shaved moldings.

·
Registered
483 Posts
mine's still like that unfortunatly, the biggest thing i regret doing to date actually. it sounds better than i expected it to at first, but the minute your sitting at a light next to a mustang or another 4.6 car with a custom exhaust you realize how horrible it actually sounds. its quiet at idle, buzzy and loud off idle, same for cruising speeds but not as bad, and for a brief moment between 4 and 5k rpm's it sounds ok.

and Splattered just for that comment your banned from the rust club:tongue:
i second that, you will regret it at some point. it sounds like azz with nothing at all. next to a real custom exhaust its downright embarassing. i know i tried it myself....it's your car but still. just my .02

·
Registered
619 Posts
yea no muffs sound like ass. I have a dynomax bullet in place of the resonator and gutted third cat. It sounds pretty good, but i only did it for the sound. One day im going to go true duals. Save your money and put it into another part of the car.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Those tips remind me.... I was seriously considering those twin side exit tips behind the rear wheels..... Like the ones that late 70's Trans Ams had.... I think they'd look good.

·
3,868 Posts
I found 3 rusty bolts on my car so far after over a year of hunting for rust. So yeah I'm banned from the rust club.

I was stupid too and chopped the muffs.

If ANYTHING positive can be said about it, dropping the exhaust is very easy for me since I only have 1 hanger for the back section. I worked around the exhaust installing the addco rear bar so there ARE pluses. I bolted on turn downs in place of the muffs so the big sway bar was able to clear it. Not to mention I didn't have to drop the exhaust to remove my rear LCA's so there are temporary pluses. I'm going to enjoy that plus column 1 more time when the Mark 8 LCA's go in when those mythical spring perches get made. So yeah if you do what I did its make life easier if you decide to do some worthwhile mods afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,607 Posts
I found 3 rusty bolts on my car so far after over a year of hunting for rust. So yeah I'm banned from the rust club.

I was stupid too and chopped the muffs.

If ANYTHING positive can be said about it, dropping the exhaust is very easy for me since I only have 1 hanger for the back section. I worked around the exhaust installing the addco rear bar so there ARE pluses. I bolted on turn downs in place of the muffs so the big sway bar was able to clear it. Not to mention I didn't have to drop the exhaust to remove my rear LCA's so there are temporary pluses. I'm going to enjoy that plus column 1 more time when the Mark 8 LCA's go in when those mythical spring perches get made. So yeah if you do what I did its make life easier if you decide to do some worthwhile mods afterwards.
yea dropping the exhaust is pretty easy like that , helped me a million when i swapped in my gears, and even more when i swapped my trans yesterday. so i'd agree it makes life much easier when they are off. when i build my new exhaust i'm going to try setting it up similar to how it is now(in terms of mounting and where it bolts together) or easier to remove than stock at least, because i find myself doing alot of work under the car lately.

·
3,868 Posts
yea dropping the exhaust is pretty easy like that , helped me a million when i swapped in my gears, and even more when i swapped my trans yesterday. so i'd agree it makes life much easier when they are off. when i build my new exhaust i'm going to try setting it up similar to how it is now(in terms of mounting and where it bolts together) or easier to remove than stock at least, because i find myself doing alot of work under the car lately.
Your car is turning out pretty cool, those are some nice wheels. Keep up the good work. I never saw many good looking cougars when I lived in IL.

I spent a while under the car already, and when I cut off the muffs I bolted the hangers back onto the car for later so they can be reused for the next exhaust set up.

I only dropped the exhaust to change out the drive shaft and fuel pump. I guess I'll be doing it again when the 3.73 tl mark8 pumpkin goes in. But I want to do the whole rear end build up at once with Mark 8 half shafts, spindles, brakes, LCAs. Just swap the whole assembly at once and be done.

So anyone who plans to mod like that chopping the muffs isn't a bad idea for a temporary mod.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I just did it today, and while it sounds all right, tolerable, at the moment, I'm definitely putting a midmounted dual in single out muffler (no pipe bender to make dual out) on it in the next few weeks. I just look at it as a good starting point, since now I have straight pipe on the back and tips I like, so I'm halfway done.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Those tips remind me.... I was seriously considering those twin side exit tips behind the rear wheels..... Like the ones that late 70's Trans Ams had.... I think they'd look good.
dude, if youre considering those TA tips...get em. thats what i got on my car and they look freakin awesome man. ive got mine comin out at about a 45 degree angle to the ground and i love the way it looks.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I agree it'd look great. But the entire "theme" of the car is what would it look like IF Ford had built a Thunderbird GT in 97. I'm thinking it'd be similar to the 97 GT, but since Ford put the good stuff on the nice cars first (like the T-bird) it would have gotten the PI heads and intake first. ;) So to really get the GT look, it'd have those single 2.5" to 3" tips on it, one on each side. I'll probably go that way and lose the twin tips I've got now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i gotcha. your 'thunderbird gt' theme is a pretty sweet idea, very original actually. and as far as sticking w/ that theme, youre right...the TA tips wouldnt really fit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts