TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts
1994 Cougar 4.6

Here's my 94 Cougar with Car Sound cats (front two only), Magnaflow DIDO muffler (2.5"). At the time, the back end was 2" off of a reducer from the muffler now replaced with the 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust kit we all love.

Not to bad....

i like this video better, i think you can hear your exhaust better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzxY6JkZvxk&feature=relmfu
That video is not my car. That is my buddy's cammed 99 CVPI. He ran a 13.54 in that cop car NA and a 12.7 on a 75 shot. For a CVPI, that thing hauled the mail with just bolt-ons. He put a Vortech on it and wrecked it on a hairpin curve later on in 2011. It had low 12s in it with the blower had he not wrecked it. :rolleyes:

Hey guys i had a couple questions about some mufflers.

First off i just finished a big week at work with 25 hours of over time so I'm getting the bird fixed up. right now i have a straight pipe y pipe set up that goes from 2" to 2.5" and it sounds great but I'm getting tired of how loud it is. i want to get a muffler that will let me hear the car but not while I'm at idle lol. I've been watching mad Youtube videos and found a lot of mufflers that sound good but don't know how loud they are inside the car. if i can get some info on what some of you guys run and how loud they are that would be great.

I've got the Mandrel Exhaust Systems duals setup with a Magnaflow X pipe and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. I've got a couple videos in the sticky.

The Super Turbo is Dynomax's 2nd quietest muffler. It's just a tad louder than what you'd hear on a stock 99-04 GT. There is a bit of drone however from 1600-2000 or so which I have come to understand is mostly the x-pipe.

I would like if it was quieter at freeway speeds, but around town it's pretty tame. You can hear it all the time, but it's not so loud that it drowns out the stereo. Best way to get the idea of how it sounds would be to use good headphones with my interior video (most speakers slaughter bass, and I made a point of using my good mics to record that video). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8dU7p3YMno

man thats the sound im looking for. you car sounds DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN GOOD!!!!!!! do you think there will be big sound difference between the true duals with xpipe and my set up?

Inevitably yes - a larger pipe will create a lower tone and a smaller pipe will be higher. You will probably be a little quieter since you don't have an X, but I can't say for certain. When it comes to how different configurations change sound in exhaust, I'm far from an expert.

Alright guys got it installed and it sounds great but just a little to quiet. do magnaflow's have a break end period or will the tone stay the same

Tone will stay the same. Mufflers don't have a break in period.
I had a friend whose mufflers did.

Then again, stock mufflers behind a 600HP 502CID tend to have break ins. Or should that be break OUTs :diablo: He'd sit there, punch the throttle in neutral, and you'd hear the plates stack up against the back of the muffler :D If it didn't just blow the back out of it, AGAIN.

RwP

My dad had dynomax super turbos on his 97 cougar and the car gradually got louder over a 4 month period. but i wasn't sure if magnaflows are nitorious for losing there packaging over time

Well, here's what I found after a quick search.

Borla>Magnaflow>Dynomax>Stock>Rustmaster

But it's all subjective I guess. Important thing to remember is the pipe lengths, bends and muffler placement will significantly effect the sound and the MN12 has a totally different path than the SN95 and S197(which also are fairly different from each other).

Also see this thread: Flowmaster or Magnaflow?

Thanks trunk. whether they get louder or not i can say that i love the muffler. just like one of the guys said there quiet just cruising but you can still hear the exhaust but when you step on it they do scream. lol

From my experience, yes, the Magnaflow mufflers will get louder after you put a little mileage on them.

my work in progress..

2.25 pipe, Magnaflow high flow cats and X pipe, CherryBomb turbo II mufflers..

here's mine from inside the car.... i had just finished the install of the O2 gauges and vac/boost gauge (no boost as of yet lol) its with the windows up in park.. will upload the vid from the rear outside asap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFjYNIUglcw

Ill bite. 2.5 inch mandrel bent, xpipe, into some Dynomax race bullets and some Jeg downturns. This is when the kit was just installed, approx. 200 miles on it. Now its fully broken in, but has a slight exhaust leak due to a nut falling off the stud for the flange. Due to my seperated shoulder, its hard for me to do it until I get better. And will probably replace the studs if I do the head swap this winter. Anywho, video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=k8nfbLit1Ng

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.