TCCoA Forums banner

Exhaust

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  ZackG 
#1 ·
hey guys,.......just wondering what your opinions were on getting a new exhaust.....(of course there's millions).....What i want is little to no drone like i have now stock but when i hit the gas i want people to know i have a V8 and not a little 4 or anythin. heheh. When i got hit from behind the piping was changed to mandrel bent pipes so i was wondering if i could just replace the mufflers instead of a whole cat back?......what's gonna be my best bet under $200 (around the price for a dynomax/flowmaster catback). I'm not gonna SC it so i'm not looking for something big, just nicer than stock at times.

p.s. there's some Flowtech mufflers around here pretty cheap (like 30 or so) but i've been kinda scared to trust them since i heard a V8 bird go by me and sound like a mixture of an small airplane and ricer...

#2 ·
If you want...

little to no drone, then you should go with the Dynomax mufflers. I had the Dynomax mufflers and switched to the Flowmasters. There is a big difference. I like the louder sound, and the drone does not bother me. The Dynomax mufflers should be about $50 a piece. They will definitely be less than the Flowmasters. If you are not looking to go with a true dual system, and you are already mandrel bent, then replacing the mufflers should be fine, and you should be able to do it pretty resonably.

#3 ·
If I bought the Dynomax cat-back kit, can you give me some idea how loud it is or how it sounds? Would it make any differences performance wise? I'd like a little sound at idle and a good amount of sound when I romp it, but I don't erally want drone at highway speeds. Ya know?

#4 ·
My thoughts on the Dynomax

I had the Dynomax Super Turbos for a little over a year. I also had true dual with them, and no silencer or third cat. The sound at WOT was a nice mellow rumble. There was almost no difference at idle. I would say that there was a bigger difference between the Dynomax and the Flowmasters, than there was between stock and the Dynomax. The Dynomax mufflers flow better than the Flowmasters. I simply wanted the sound of the Flowmasters.

#5 ·
hey nick...

i am about to do some exhaust work to my bird (96 4.6) and my goal is to get that loud throaty mustang sound, i love that sound. This is what i am thinkin about...have u seen that exhaust system they have on speedfreak.cc? well i am gonna do almost the same thing but have a mufflers shop build it, 2 hi-flow cats to an x-pipe to duals to my flowmaster 40 series to streight chrome tips. i know that removing the 3rd cat will free up a lot of sound and power but will everything else i plan on doing to it make it sound like i want it to? if not give me suggestions.

#6 ·
I would say...

...that your plan is a good plan to get that sound. You will never get the exact same sound, due to the placement of the mufflers. That was my goal when I switched from the Dynomax to the Flowmasters. I would say that my sound is as close as I can get it. There is a nice sound at idle, and a light throttle. When I get on it, there is a really nice rumble. The sound does get noticed...If I see a guy with a Mustang at a gas station outside his car, I will usually get on it a little, and almost always will get a head turn!! :D I think that your plan is a good plan. Let me know how it turns out!

#7 ·
hey...

ill let u konw as soon as i get my car out of the shoop and get a little cash flow again. i blew a head gasket yesterday on the way home and it over heated the engine pretty bad so i hope that i didnt screw up my engine more than i am thinking right now. if i only blew the head gasket i would probably be very lucky. but i took the car to my local muffler shop to get the work done to it. the are gonna give me an estimate for the exhaust system. i already have the mufflers so i will tkae the money that was gonna put mufflers on it and get the hi-flow cats...cause if i am gonna put exhaust on it than it is gonna be done right the first time. Hey nick IM me on AOL at GTFootball236920 whenever u r on...and ill keep u informed.

#9 ·
thats the...

exact one that i am having duplicated. That sight is a rip off tho. u can go to any semi-good muffler shop and have the whole thing made and installed to fit your car right for under $700. The muffler shop that i was lookin at is guessing around $600 to $650 for everything including hi-flows. I cant see how anybody would even buy an exhaust system off of them. Print out the pictures of the exhaust on that sight and take them to your muffler shop. if they cant duplicate that system than find some other shop cause it isnt that hard to do. i would do the exhaust myself but i dont know how to do the x-pipe and i dont have anything to bend the pipes.

#10 ·
I have the Dynomax catback system on my 95 4.6. I also bought an extra pipe and took out the res. It's not needed and will add a little high way sound. Id say if you want no drone and cheap then Dynomax catback could be for you. Its 199.00 from Summit. You really dont here it at idle. Start up and high way speeds (2-3 RPMs) is when you really hear it.
I have tomorrow off. I am going to get a sound clip of mine.
-Shawn

#13 ·
I had true duals on my 5.0 with the 3rd cat removed and the resonator removed. Had a set of Dynomax Turbo Mufflers to replace the stockers. The sound was... alright. It rumbled and at WOT it was pretty loud.

Since then, one of the welds on the muffs broke and I had to get a new set of mufflers. Decided to go with the Flowmaster 40 series Delta-Flows. MUCH better sound.. I love it... people are always surprised to hear a Cougar with the sound of a Mustang.

#14 ·
I was dirrected over here from a friend on the Mark VIII board.

As I have the exhoust and had him install it I feel I am educated on the topic.
I know he has avalable all the exhousts for a Mark VIII, and the 5.0, 3.8 and 4.6 T-Bird.
He has tested them and they fit and work.
You can get them copied, but the quality of workmanship probably wont be the same for the same or less $$

You can do whetever you want to, but for the money it is hard to beat.
I dont know what he charges you TCCOA guys but for LOD members its cheap like about 300$ for a complete cat back X pipe, and all you need is mufflers. I think thats a pretty good deal considering you know it works without headaches.

#15 ·
i had mine made up for 250 after the cost of the muffler. great sound, looks good and the clearance is exactly what i wanted. i didnt like two mufflers sitting in the back and two mufflers just wouldnt fit on a lowered car right behind the transmission, so i went with an 80 series flowmaster crossflow design muffler, used alot on camaros. it mounts transversly behind the rear end.

http://www.innerlusion.com/video/exhaust.mpg

#16 ·
is my resonator already gone?

I saw in the sketch of the tbird exhaust that the resinator is right behind the third cat and it goes straight to the bend after it. Right after my third cat (where the Y comes together) it goes to about atleast a 2' straight pipe into the bend near the gas tank. Is mine already deleted?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.