TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be finally getting my exhaust done soon and I'd like some opinions. First off i know the restriction from cats is minuscule but since my car is a 95 and i don't have to worry about emissions anymore i figure ill go catless. I had just planned on getting a magnaflow di/do 2.5'' x pipe(the one alot of guys use here,where it just looks like a normal muffler,you dont actually see the x) and running 2.5'' pipe throughout and just dumping it after the diff (i like the way the car looks with no tailpipes) Now, is this going to most likely be obnoxious and raspy? i dont care much about it being too loud,in fact i prefer it, I just dont want it to be raspy and sound like ass.

either that or should i just do that same set-up but with 2 mufflers in the back?

any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
275 Posts
trial and error, wouldn't hert to do the x pipe. if it sounds like ass, add mufflers in the rear.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'll be finally getting my exhaust done soon and I'd like some opinions. First off i know the restriction from cats is minuscule but since my car is a 95 and i don't have to worry about emissions anymore i figure ill go catless. I had just planned on getting a magnaflow di/do 2.5'' x pipe(the one alot of guys use here,where it just looks like a normal muffler,you dont actually see the x) and running 2.5'' pipe throughout and just dumping it after the diff (i like the way the car looks with no tailpipes) Now, is this going to most likely be obnoxious and raspy? i dont care much about it being too loud,in fact i prefer it, I just dont want it to be raspy and sound like ass.

either that or should i just do that same set-up but with 2 mufflers in the back?

any suggestions are welcome.
wait....you dont have to use cats in illinois if your car is 95 or earlier?!?!

i didnt know this....

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't believe they test 95 and older anymore.

Nick

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I'm still far off from getting to the exhaust but heres the muff I have waiting in the wings

DI-DO 2.5" dynomax tru-x ultra flow. This is supposedly too quite for some people so no risk for drone or rasp.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The cats are a huge restriction, but when you take them off you car will sound like do-do and lose a lot of torque which is what you need to get this car to move when you punch the throttle at the stop light. If you have a stock car and want to remove the cats then put the Flowmaster Resonator and cat back system on and you will see more torque and HP. The sound is great through the whole RPM range. The price is right and it is mandrel bent. Trying to cook up a home brew does not work well unless you have a ton of money. When you lose torque your foot is on the throttle to make up for it at the stop lights. That will cost you about 2 miles per gallon on average.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've thought about using the dual in and out X-muffler from dynomax....just courious as to how it sounds and performs. I'm personally running true dual 2.5"catless exhaust with and H-pipe and two Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers in the stock locations...all for about $300 bucks. Couldn't be happier with the sound ...get all kinds of looks.

Of course, like stated earlier by Hollywood Ed, you'll loose alot of bottom end torque with out the cats, especially if you're running with a stock motor--even with bolt ons. And if you go to 2.5" pipes, catless, the drop in torque would be even greater. Now do a serious engine build or SC it, and you'll be able to get away with it better. I would say keep the cats but cut the Y section out and go duals from there with that muffler....it'll sound good and still have enough back pressure for the car to "go" when you want it to. Thats how I did my first exhaust..cut the Y out, ran 2 .25" pipes from there with an H-pipe back to my Flowmasters....until they went bad and then added my Ultra Flos.

The only thing I'll say NOT to do is get the Flowmaster cat back system. Yeah, Flowmasters have a great and unique sound...but the performance isn't as great as what people think. I DID have their system once...and the mufflers lasted about 2 years, then a baffle came loose and blocked the exit of the muffler, killing my HP...down to about 75 HP. And when the guy who developed the "J-Mod" for our trannys says they're junk....there's something to it. He was doing the first tune on my car when the baffle issue happened....he thought he broke my car at first. That was quite an experience.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses guys. My engine is farrrrrr from a stock 95 (see sig :) )

i may just get the di/do magnaflow with the built in x (does anyone have a part number,my work is a "magnaflow dealer" but i couldnt find this muffler in the catalog) and see how it is,and if it is too raspy i may just put two high flow cats on because 1. go environment! haha and 2 im sure it'll cut down on the raspy-ness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have a thrush setup its not to bad really

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
i think the dynomax would be better but thats just be i rather hear the blower

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Justin, I have the di/do magnaflow, but it's got 2.25 pipes from the front cats to the back. It's not raspy; in fact, it's quite mellow.

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
I have the same setup as SignofTheCat94 and with 2 high-flow 94004 Magnaflow cats. It does sound mellow and not too droney. It doesn't have that Mustang growl though.

Two hi-flow Magnaflow 94004 cats going into a mid-mounted Magnaflow 11385 and then back out to "believe-it-or-not" NAPA chrome tips that are 2 1/8 inch diameter for $13 each! 2.25 pipes all the way through.

Click on the pics to make them larger:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Looks good, the metal gas tank plate looks alittle rough thought.;)

·
829 Posts
Thanks Slowride - yeah that thing needs to be replaced!

·
829 Posts
Great, just what I need now, a challenge to find one in "new" condition!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts