TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my uncle tbird91sc on sccoa is selling me his car now he put in a stick(it was originally auto) and the tranny fluid line is somewhat close to the headers and does heat the tranny fluid and causes it to boil and not to shift very well. while its moving it doesnt have the problem just when its sitting. this is the reason why i want to wrap the headers not to mention it cools down the engine bay of a hot running car. so this leads me to my question which wrap to go with it?

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
Why not just get them ceramic coated?

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the time you buy enough header wrap for both, you'll be at the cost of ceramic coating it.
they sell the crap for 40 bucks for like 50ft. i mean realistically how much would it cost to get them coated?

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
Wrap the line that you think is for the trans. cooler on a stick car.
I'm assuming the line is the slave cyl. line.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
IIRC stick cars don't have trans coolers but do use mercon instead of gear oil.

There's a cooler about the size of a wallet up front for cooling your power steering, though.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm not exactly sure. its my uncles 91 sc that im buying thing is it was a auto and now is a stick with a 93/95 tranny and 3.55 gears. i assume its for the tranny as he says it boils the fluid and makes it a little more difficult to shift.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Weren't you buying a bunch of parts (heads, cams, etc.) for your car?

If you think something is getting hot that shouldn't be, move it or insulate it, or better yet both. It is that simple.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah.. But I've always loved my uncles sc plus with having his car I can pull mine apart and do the engine with out time constraints so really it works out better the sc won't be a daily driver for very long just long enough to build an engine for my v8. So it may take me llnger to buy the parts but ill have a second car so I can get to work back and forth.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would go with the ceramic coating for sure. Header wraps can trap moisture causing rust. There are alot of good reasons to ceramic coat and it is worth the money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts