TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for some exhaust for my 3.8 and i dont really know what is out there that would make a v6 sound good. i dont want a ricey sound to it. but i know im not gonna beable to get that great v8 sound. any ideas?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've always been a fan of glasspacks, so a custom exhaust is always optional. Just hunt around on some websites and you'll find something. It shouldnt sound ricey unless you put a fart can on it. Summitracing.com has some decent flowmaster systems that you might like for the V6 Thunderbird.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
I've always been a fan of glasspacks, so a custom exhaust is always optional. Just hunt around on some websites and you'll find something. It shouldnt sound ricey unless you put a fart can on it. Summitracing.com has some decent flowmaster systems that you might like for the V6 Thunderbird.
You'd be surprised, unless you do a 3.8 exhaust right, it can sound like a weed whacker.

As for ideas, search is your friend:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=78905

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
i put dual 40 series after a y-pipe on mine. sounds decent, but at 3000rpm it gets loud. if i had to do it again i'd go with a di/do dual chamber flowmaster or something similar w/ true duals rather than the y-pipe. shop around...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Here's exactly what my 3.8 sounds like, I LOVE the sound, it sounds a teeny bit ricey (deep ricey, not a loud annoying ricey), but sounds much better

This is the 2nd day that I got my exhaust done. After break in, it sounds much nicer, deeper. I'll have to get one of the exhaust broken in.

http://media.putfile.com/New-Dual-Exhaust

2 new magnaflow hi-flow cats

magnaflow di/do midmounted muffler with turndowns at the end of it. 2 1/4" exhaust all the way.

The idol sound is my favorite, sounds deep and nice :)

If you want to know exactly what I put on, drop me a PM. I've tried putting it on the exhaust for the 3.8, but the guy has never gotten back to me at all.

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
hey blindloser, how much did that set-up hit you for?

·
Registered
647 Posts
The installation of everything cost me $433 with tax. The 2 high-flow cats were $86 shipped, and the muffler was $65 shipped. Gives me a grand total of $584.00 installed. I love it, and since I was installing a new tranny at the time, I figured it was now or never.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
mine cost $300 and i'm moderately happy. wish i knew about this site 6 months ago! oh and i'm running no cats. i think it sounds deeper, but i don't recall hearing anything with the hi-flows.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
its will sounds alot deeper and burbly w/ out cats. even high flows act like mufflers the ceramic honey comb absords sound.

and blindloser that actually sounds pretty good for a 3.8 :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts