TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody take the engine out of one of these before ??? I am going to tackle this project soon, looks like the engine bay is pretty big, but the engine sits back into the firewall and intake manifold is pretty tall ( 4.6 engine ).

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
I had a friend who used to build them at the Michigan truck plant for Ford. I recall him telling me the took the body off the chassis to do engine swaps. Ill send him a message and see what he says. That said I'm sure there are differences between what the factory does and what a good mechanic can do.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You can pull it from the top like normal. Of course we had a cherry picker,a lift, the front tires were off, and 3 other people. Plus the 2 that were already working on it. Other than that its like anything else. J/k (although a joke it really did take that many people.) I know a F-150 you can do from the top. The 150 and expedition ain't much different under the hood.

But supergordo is right. A lot of the f-250 and 350s get done that way.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
I swapped a 5.4 in one once. I pulled the intake manifold off, as well as removing the radiator, fan, and all front accessories while it was still in the car. After doing all that, getting it out wasn't difficult, however putting it back in and trying to get the trans to line up was a royal PITA. Because the motor is so far back and under the cowl, you can't maneuver it too well to line everything up. We ended up just dropping the trans out the bottom, then getting the motor sitting on the mounts, then putting the trans back in. Of course this was done in a shop with a lift, so if you have to work on the ground, it may be easier to just wrestle with the engine until you get it lined up right.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah .. if it werent for that huge intake manifold, it would look alot easier.
Dont have a lift, but I have done quite a few engine swaps .. just not in something where the engine is this far back. The camaro's we drop drop from the bottom, not fun in the driveway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts