TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
A big thank you for this. I have a pretty bad leak around the oil filter adapter. I'm willing to bet by looking at the exploded view that it's the gasket between the filter adapter & block.

A big thank you for this. I have a pretty bad leak around the oil filter adapter. I'm willing to bet by looking at the exploded view that it's the gasket between the filter adapter & block.
If there's a leak on the side, and there's no new broken-rod-based ventilation hole, it's the gasket there, most likely.

The second most common alternative is two oil filter gaskets, lol.

It's a standard deal; also, make sure the aluminum piece isn't corroded too bad.

Just seen this thread. I work in a CAD office using Solidworks. I wonder if anyone's got this as a 3D model. That would be cool.

Just seen this thread. I work in a CAD office using Solidworks. I wonder if anyone's got this as a 3D model. That would be cool.
If you find one, I want a copy. :) I'll pay.

You could 3d print it in a ceramic, with space for the sleeves. :)

If you find one, I want a copy. :) I'll pay.

You could 3d print it in a ceramic, with space for the sleeves. :)
Haha, now there's an idea!

I have my intake off (PI swap in progess) and have Q's about the plug at the rear of the valley. I don't see it pictured above.

Is this a bell housing breather valve of some sort?

I was being a dirty old grease monkey and touched it inappropriately; in retaliation, it sacrificed an upper corner like a lizard would its tail -- brittle plastic syndrome strikes again.

Anybody have a good part # on this?

What happens if I don't find a replacement and leave the upper corner broken off so there's a hole instead of a complete "valve" there? Dirt (etc.) gets down into my xmission and starts destroying seals?

I worry about trying to remove the original, since it might shatter into a hundred pieces and then I'll be in deep doo-doo as most of it would surely fall and be irretrievable.

I wonder what the chances are of any type of solvent weld holding under engine temps. What material is this thing made of anyway? It looks like it might be ABS. Do you suppose the Ultra Black gasket maker I bought for the intake swap would hold the breather corner chunk in place (sounds kinda iffy)?

I have my intake off (PI swap in progess) and have Q's about the plug at the rear of the valley. I don't see it pictured above.

Is this a bell housing breather valve of some sort?

I was being a dirty old grease monkey and touched it inappropriately; in retaliation, it sacrificed an upper corner like a lizard would its tail -- brittle plastic syndrome strikes again.

Anybody have a good part # on this?

What happens if I don't find a replacement and leave the upper corner broken off so there's a hole instead of a complete "valve" there? Dirt (etc.) gets down into my xmission and starts destroying seals?

I worry about trying to remove the original, since it might shatter into a hundred pieces and then I'll be in deep doo-doo as most of it would surely fall and be irretrievable.

I wonder what the chances are of any type of solvent weld holding under engine temps. What material is this thing made of anyway? It looks like it might be ABS. Do you suppose the Ultra Black gasket maker I bought for the intake swap would hold the breather corner chunk in place (sounds kinda iffy)?
That's not a valve, it's a dust cover. Just like the rubber plug on the bottom of the transmission bellhousing.

Well, it was rather loose, like a one-way valve might be. In its original condition, it wasn't doing a super job as a dust cover me thinks. Anyway, I assume I should make an attempt to repair or replace it then.

Also, if it's just a cover, why bother? Why not just make the rear of the valley completely solid? Does this provide an access point for removal of flywheel bolts or what?

oic, a fluid drain.. gotcha

Don't worry about it, the purpose of that hole is for coolant drainage in the event that the valley tube springs a leak or the hose is replaced(without that hole the valley will fill up like a bowl). The plug is there to keep debris that might be in the valley from flinging into the flexplate that's spinning at thousands of RPMs. I left mine out last time I had the intake off, aluminum block engines don't even have a plug(though the hole is smaller)

Don't worry about it, the purpose of that hole is for coolant drainage in the event the valley tube springs a leak or the hose is replaced(without that hole the valley will fill up like a bowl). The plug is there to keep debris that might be in the valley from flinging into the flexplate that's spinning at thousands of RPMs. I left mine out last time I had the intake off, aluminum block engines don't even have a plug(though the hole is smaller)
I was told it was a drag along point down the assembly line, like the ears with holes on the transmission case. Also for what it's worth most of the ones I see are damaged, broken, or missing from excessive heat and vibrations. My SOHC 4.6's in my f-150 and 95 Tbird are both missing theirs. The one on my 97 block I removed, and the DOHC doesn't have one. I wouldn't worry about it.

Could very well be. The thing that makes me suspect drain hole is that the WAP and Teksids have a significantly smaller hole, by about half the diameter, placed at the very bottom of the valley. I'd think they'd want to keep the hole large like the iron blocks if it were a drag along point.

Either way, I'm glad it's there, I sure wouldn't want to bail coolant during a PI valley tube swap :tongue:

Awesome post. Will def come in hand sooner or later during my swap. Thanks for the info, Chris

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.