TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while i was on summit racing looking for differentials, i clicked on the detroit locker, and had two of them narrowed down, 28 spline or 31 spline, i researched and found out that that starting on 2002, the explorers came equipped with the irs and 31 spline axles, my question is how will it fit, is it a simple swap, or will many mods be needed, i know there are plenty of 28 spline birds and cougar running good times, but id rather be safe than sorry, what else would i need to do this swap, im going back and forth with this swap, because gearbanger(has a 97 cougar) from stangnet said that i wont really need a 31 spline swap unless im planning on doin hard launches or will be running with slicks, but i google and google and i come to the thought that the 31 splines are better, any advice greatly appreciated

here is a picture of rear passenger axle

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQFordQQExplorerQQA1_CardoneQQAxle_AssemblyQQ20022006QQA1602179.html

here is the cougar axle(most of you probably know) rear or driver passenger
http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Mercury/Cougar/A1_Cardone/Axle_Assembly/1995/XR-7/8_Cyl_4-dot-6L/A1602125.html?location=Rear-comma-_Driver_Or_Passenger_Side

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
31 spline axles are only slightly better than the 28 splined ones....and only because of that extra tiny bit of surface area more splines provide.

That miniscule amount of improvement is really not worth the extra hoopla IMO. But to answer your question, the carrier should fit once you source out the correct length (for mn12) 31 spline halfshafts and change all that stuff around.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
im putting a 31 spline diff in my bird this week. ive got the axles and center section in the garage. the axles need to be modded and im good to go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What do you mean by the axles need to be modded?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
31 spline axles are only slightly better than the 28 splined ones....and only because of that extra tiny bit of surface area more splines provide.

That miniscule amount of improvement is really not worth the extra hoopla IMO. But to answer your question, the carrier should fit once you source out the correct length (for mn12) 31 spline halfshafts and change all that stuff around.
well i know i can get the locker in 28 spline, but there is no locker price difference if i get 28 spline or 31 spline, im starting from rear end towards front end and leaving motor and performance till the end, i dont want to leave the 28 spline, put slicks and snap the axle and regret not putting the 31 splines since the beginning, thanks for your opinion btw

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I've pulled 1.60 60 fts on stock axles and my buddy has pulled 1.59, just depends what your doing with it a heavy shot of nitrous off the line you might wanna change them

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts