TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i been wanting to do explorer block and pi stuff. i hurd since i have a 95 a 02/03 mountaineer or explorer block would be the best. what else should i be looking to get with the motor..pistions, crank, ect? i wanna do it right the 1st time.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
that depends on what your plans are with it later.... sc/na/nitrous etc....

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
If you get one from Greenleaf or similar place, it will be complete. Unless you are looking to build the heck out of it then that is all you need.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Yes, 02-04 Explorer will get you an aluminim block, you re-use your stock oil pan, front cover and valve covers.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
be forewarned, if you get an early production motor, it may have a 2000-2001 build date at the '02 trucks were brought out in mid-ish 2001.....so, dont get scared if you see such a build date.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k..well i prolly dont wanna build the crap outa it. so if im not. the explorer pistions crank ect would stay in there? and use my 95 bird stock oil pan, front cover and valve covers. right?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I understand using the stock front cover and oil pan, but why the stock valve covers? Why not use explorer Valve covers?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I understand using the stock front cover and oil pan, but why the stock valve covers? Why not use explorer Valve covers?
He can. The covers on my Explorer motor were identical. I swapped them out to keep them clean in case I want to powdercoat them later.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
allright. but ima do pi at the same time. so wouldnt i use those valve covers?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ic. well are the explorer heads cams and intake as good as like a 99+ mustang?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
ic. well are the explorer heads cams and intake as good as like a 99+ mustang?
Yes. That is why they are such a great swap. You get all the benefits of a 99+ Mustang motor but 80 pounds lighter.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright kool. so if i wanted to do better tb/plenum? what year and car could i get that off of?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya aftermarket off of what. like stang...

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
1997-2004 Ford 4.6 2V

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh allright kool. what else should i look for when gettin this motor. should it have everything like fuel lines ect.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
You will need to either use 96-97 Tbird fuel rails or I think someone has used vic rails. If you do a search on my name or Palmguy going back 4 years you should find a post detailing everything about the swap including wiring harness changes

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
k what else should i think about doing while the motor is out, frount sway bar, new motor mounts, headers. what else? and do they make headers for the explorer?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts