TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Has anyone looked at an Explorer hub for the rear of the T-birds??

The Cobra's are very expensive!!

I just lost the center to one of my wheels!
BIG SPIN-OUT!!

Will post a picture later.

Paul

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I wanna see a pic! Why not just get a stock hub redrilled? It shouldnt cost too much. How much are the cobra hubs? I have never priced them. I recently read that even 31 spline cobra axles are also 28 spline on the outboard side, explorer may be the same. Youll just have to pull a few parts and do some comparing!
-Rob

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
That will change bolt pattern but I think he wants larger spline for cobra axles. I don't have a good source yet. I will look but like that FMX 11 inch I am not having any luck. Were they stock? I have never seen one.
Alan

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Converter?

That will change bolt pattern but I think he wants larger spline for cobra axles. I don't have a good source yet. I will look but like that FMX 11 inch I am not having any luck. Were they stock? I have never seen one.
Alan
Hello Alan

Both my converters are 13" I believe it stock. If you can't find one don't worry.
Can you balance a flex plate??

I have the Maraurder flexplate + weight from an old Windsor.
Going to bolt it on then weld it. Need to confirm the 28.8oz. balance.
or is there a way I could do it??(balance)

I bid on that hub. If I win we will see if it will work.
I need to know if the bearing size is the same along with the Axle size & spline.
With all the clunkers there might be a good supply we could use for rear conversion to the 5X4.5 pattern.
Cobra's are pricey.

Paul

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The only FMX converters I have dealt with are the pretty standard 12 inch units, they measure about 12.5 inches on the outside edge. It wouldn't be too complicated to put one together with the marauder components for stall, but I just don't know of anything "stock". I am curious about that flange myself. SUre would be much cheaper than cobra's and plentiful in the bone yards.
I have an SFI flexplate available that will work, I just ordered one for a guy yesterday.
Alan

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an SFI flexplate available that will work, I just ordered one for a guy yesterday.
Alan
How much for the flexplate to fit both the 351W & Maraurder converter.
I have the Lincoln one, 4.6. (02 converter)

If I win the Rear Hub I will let you know!

Paul

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You shouldve asked the guy with the explorer hub to count the splines and measure the OD for you. That was a sweet-ass price if it would actually fit our cars.

·
Banned
95 Posts
I have mic'ed the explorer hub and while some dimensions can be cut down to work with the cobra rotor it becomes academic due to the explorer hub has 29 splines and the tbird/cobra has 28. Otherwise it would work.

·
Banned
95 Posts
One last parting coment; If I could find the machine shop that has made these aftermarket explorer hubs all he has to do is changer 2 entries on his CNC machine and acquire a 28 spline broach cutter and then you would have cobra hubs for cheap. I have run CNC machines and it wouldn't be a problem to change to entries. I am actively searching for the machineshop and I know who ever that is they would be inclined to make cobra hubs. Their is a good sizes market for these hubs not just for MN12's.
In addition don't buy those ridiculous cobra hubs for $150! Like that price is a deal. Contact Stu at his web site and get your tbird hubs drilled to sn95. I did and I am glad I did.
Do you know how much beer I bought in the money savings!
This is Stu site and tell him Woody sent you. He knows me:http://www.geocities.com/stus_cobra/irs_machining.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts