TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what year explorers have the 4.6L PI intake? do i have to swap heads before installing it?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
What method are you going to use to connect the heater core to the intake? The Explorer intake has the heater core nipple on the crossover, not the rear like the car version of the intake.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
What method are you going to use to connect the heater core to the intake? The Explorer intake has the heater core nipple on the crossover, not the rear like the car version of the intake.
I drilled out the spot on my explorer intake where the mustang intake has the heater core outlet with a 1/2" drill bit. Then I tapped it with a 3/8 NPT and installed a fitting. I probably have 15-20K on my car with it like that and it has not caused any issues. You just have to be careful when you drill through to not go through to the gasket surface.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
you drilled and tapped the plastic in the back?

i have an explorer PI intake w/ aluminum crossover in my garage if anyone wants it

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
What exactly are you are after? Are you trying to find/use a truck style all aluminum one? Not only are they not really good candidates for cars, but they would require a seriously reworked hood, perhaps the one you list in coming soon would clear it, I don't know for sure.

Here is a thread on the truck intake. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=116352

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
you drilled and tapped the plastic in the back?

i have an explorer PI intake w/ aluminum crossover in my garage if anyone wants it
yes. Like I said, it hasn't given me any trouble.

The intake is plastic with an AL coolant crossover.

-Rob

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well if the plastic ones work for everyone else without any problems i guess it'll be good for me too. the JY i got my fender and bumper from has alot of explorers. they might have an 02+.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
I should have tapped mine... I did a T fitting for mine. connected the T fitting on one of the coolant sensor ports. Sensor on top and then out the side expanded to fit the Heater hose and just ran it all the way to the front.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I should have tapped mine... I did a T fitting for mine. connected the T fitting on one of the coolant sensor ports. Sensor on top and then out the side expanded to fit the Heater hose and just ran it all the way to the front.
it leaks too... lol. just a lil bit but i have the right heater hose fitting for the back i just have to drill and tap the hole.

·
Registered
917 Posts
its the plastic fitting for the rear hose, it is not liking the heat expansion and cooling off.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a few questions:
can you post a pic of this tap job? i wanna see what it would look like.
does the mustang gt also have a plastic intake?
what trucks have a manifold that would mate up right? i didn't know trucks even had the 4.6L

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
a few questions:
can you post a pic of this tap job? i wanna see what it would look like.
does the mustang gt also have a plastic intake?
what trucks have a manifold that would mate up right? i didn't know trucks even had the 4.6L
I didn't take any pics. I ust drilled and tapped the intake where the outlet would be on the mustang intake. It pretty much looks like the mustang intake now.

The mustangs also have a plastic intake, the good ones are plastic with an aluminum coolant crossover in the front behind where the alternator sits.

You don't want a truck intake.

-Rob

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
why don't i want a truck manny? do they fllow less?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
why don't i want a truck manny? do they fllow less?

Yes

They are a big huge monstrosity designed to promote low end torque over high rpm power. I believe they even have IMRCs for this. The PI intake will easily out perform it, especially using it in a car.

-Rob

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
not counting the fact you'll have to cut open a hole in the hood for it

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so they don't make one for our cars in nice, shiny, super spiffy metal? that makes me sad. :xpcry:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
so they don't make one for our cars in nice, shiny, super spiffy metal? that makes me sad. :xpcry:
You can buy an aftermarket intake if that's what you want.

-Rob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts