TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question:

I am putting my 02 Explorer back together on the engine stand (I finally got my VT Stage II cams :D ).

I ordered new Tbird motor mounts from Dan Newman. I went to install the driver's side mount and it doesn't clear the block. The upper stud that comes out of the actual isolator part of the mount hits the block on a land for a bolt hole. It is close; I could probably just bolt it up and all the bracket to bend a little (it's only about an 1/8") The passenger side one fits fine.

I searched every thread I could find on the Explorer swap and everyone seems to say the Tbird mounts should work without modification. I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem, or if I maybe have the wrong mount. :confused:

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Frank

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I used a dremel tool with a cutting blade to cut it just enough to clear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tinman,

so your mount had the same problem, huh? It's strange because the bolt holes line up fine, but it hits slightly on the bolt hole in the middle. I wanted to make sure someone else had the same issue before I grind on it. Thanks!

Greenbird,

Yea, I am expecting the brakes to be affected because of the loss of vacuum. I have read that they still provide enough vacuum to work effectively. If not, then I'll have to check into installing a vacuum canister. Guys with these cams in otherwise stock PI 4.6s are getting great gains (about 50 peak HP)...so I think the vacuum problem might be worth the effort!

I'll let ya know tho

Frank

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I didn't have this issue. Kind of interesting as I used a new mount as well.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
fsh167 said:
...It's strange because the bolt holes line up fine, but it hits slightly on the bolt hole in the middle...
That bolthole in the middle was used for the Explorer motor mount bracket. It wasn't designed for a Thunderbird motor mount bracket, so it didn't clear.
Just make sure that you don't make any "inside" sharp angled cuts. That can create a potential weak spot. It's not normally a problem, but it can be with an aluminum block.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts