TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 163k on my 'Bird right now, so I'm researching the Explorer swap before I have to get a new motor. I talked to my mechanic about it, and he said that he hadn't had any trouble with the Explorer motors, but he did say that in the event of coolant loss, or a thrown belt (maybe the Explorers have engine driven fans), or any kind of severe overheating problem will wreak havoc on the aluminum blocks because they don't take heat like iron does. He also said that to do the swap you'd really have to know your 4.6's.

So my question to you guys with the Explorer motor is this: Have you guys had any reliability problems with your new Explorer motors, and whatdya think about the overheating thing? Also, with 90lbs (from what I've read here) off the front of the car, have you noticed any improvements in braking or cornering?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Don't let your motor overheat ;) The Explorer does have an engine driven fan. You don't "really have to know your 4.6s...it's a longblock swap nothing more and if you have a '94-95 it's a bit more complicated in terms of swapping out to newer style fuel delivery parts, but it's straightforward.

I've got 12k on mine now...Aaron and Tim and a lot of the other guys probably have more than that. Actually TimB has about that many miles with the Explorer motor supercharged, no problems (other than a fragged tranny lol).

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Sure aluminum probably isnt as cool with overheating as iron is, but why would you overheat your engine? It shouldnt be that bad anyway considering that the cylinders have steel sleeves. Just to safeguard against the most common of 4.6 coolant leaks, it's a good idea to replace the all-composite intake with one that has the aluminum crossover (I'm still running the all plastic one). You don't have to know all that much about a 4.6 to do the swap. Just know what parts are required depending on the year of car you are driving now. Basically, it's like pulling the engine, switching out a few parts, dropping it in, and doing some wiring if you have a '94-5(the wiring is cake too). So if you have ever replaced an engine before, its almost about the same difficulty level as that. It wouldn't be a bad first experience either, just expect to spend a little bit of time on it.

Yes, whenever I installed the new engine, the car immediately felt better taking turns. Of course now I dont notice it since I've gotten used to the new feel of the car.
Hope this helps some man!
-Rob

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Is there any truth to the rumor about a lot of Exploder motors not having hte crank balanced? I think I heard that over at MD...

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Cougar281 said:
Is there any truth to the rumor about a lot of Exploder motors not having hte crank balanced? I think I heard that over at MD...
I suppose there could be isolated incidents but I've never heard of that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Because when the tire problem they were having would cause roll over, people came up with a cute name, i mean exploder sounds better than explorollover i guess.

·
Registered
921 Posts
A guy that worked at a Ford stealership told me it was because the oil pumps were prone to failure in them and the motor would blow. Probably just a bunch of rubbish then...learn somethin new every day.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Palmguy said:
Don't let your motor overheat ;) The Explorer does have an engine driven fan. You don't "really have to know your 4.6s...it's a longblock swap nothing more and if you have a '94-95 it's a bit more complicated in terms of swapping out to newer style fuel delivery parts, but it's straightforward.

I've got 12k on mine now...Aaron and Tim and a lot of the other guys probably have more than that. Actually TimB has about that many miles with the Explorer motor supercharged, no problems (other than a fragged tranny lol).
Actually I'm up to 18K supercharged 35K overall on the explorer motor. As everone has said don't overheat any motor even the iron block ones still have aluminum heads and they can warp. Really knowing a 4.6 sounds like someone who only knows how to do what the shop manual tells them and doesn't really look at a 4.6 for what it is but only at the specific application. The ability to think outside the box and slightly abstract is what separates the men from the boys when it comes to spinning wrenches.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
timb said:

Actually I'm up to 18K supercharged 35K overall on the explorer motor. As everone has said don't overheat any motor even the iron block ones still have aluminum heads and they can warp. Really knowing a 4.6 sounds like someone who only knows how to do what the shop manual tells them and doesn't really look at a 4.6 for what it is but only at the specific application. The ability to think outside the box and slightly abstract is what separates the men from the boys when it comes to spinning wrenches.
:eek: Forgot you drove so much to and from work everyday...you've had the motor running since about last spring or so, right? April maybe?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I've only got about 5k on mine, but those are some very fun miles. I still haven't gotten bored of the new power:D

With all the help on here (thanks timb and others), it was a piece of cake.

Rob

·
Registered
926 Posts
8000 on mine but I dont drive it in the winter so thats why :)

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
mylittleblackbird said:
A guy that worked at a Ford stealership told me it was because the oil pumps were prone to failure in them and the motor would blow. Probably just a bunch of rubbish then...learn somethin new every day.
I think he was refferring to the 4.0 liter engines. I have seen alot of crank and oilpump problems on them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts