TCCoA Forums banner

Explorer swap questions

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Palmguy 
#1 ·
I have some questions about the Explorer swap.

1. I've read that the swap results in a lighter engine. Is this true?
2. I've read that you lose some MPG from the Explorer motor. Any idea as to why this is?
3. Does the swap use the PI heads and intake?
4. If I wanna keep a 4.6 in my 'Bird, is this my only option, or can the 4.6 that I already have in it be rebuilt?
5. Will I see a performance improvement with this motor?
6. How much harder is it to do the swap than say taking a motor into and out of a 302-powered F150?
7. Finally, where can I get more info about the swap?

#2 ·
1. I've read that the swap results in a lighter engine. Is this true?
Yes the block is aluminum vs iron about 90# lighter

2. I've read that you lose some MPG from the Explorer motor. Any idea as to why this is?
I don't believe it is any different that any PI motor

3. Does the swap use the PI heads and intake?
Yes

4. If I wanna keep a 4.6 in my 'Bird, is this my only option, or can the 4.6 that I already have in it be rebuilt?
Yes but most of us have found it is far cheaper to do a swap.

5. Will I see a performance improvement with this motor?
Yes

6. How much harder is it to do the swap than say taking a motor into and out of a 302-powered F150?
If you can swap a 302 you can do this

7. Finally, where can I get more info about the swap?

Use the search button try "explorer motor" You can also search on explorer and my name or Palm guy and should come up with a lot

#3 ·
Don't forget me Timb :):tongue: . When I swaped my 03 on my 95, I felt a HUGE difference compared to the sissy 95. You'll love the engine when you put it on. I haven't bought a chip, so right now Im using the stock PC with the older engine, which I'm loosing some HP, but when I buy the chip, it will be way better. Like timb says, there are many artcles that can help you man.. Later

Israel

#4 ·
Youll love this engine! It's probably one of the easiest engine swaps I've ever pulled off. Youll love the power too, I was able to drop .8 in the 1/8th just by stepping up to 3.73 TL from 3.55 gears, chip and this engine. Plus it put me into the high 14s in the 1/4. Thats usually quick enough to beat a new stock GT stang. Also....very cost effective. Other than buying the engine, I had to spend a little extra money because I was swapping into a '94 car, cost me like $250 or so extra. So my thoughts...do it!! My mileage also didn't appear to get any worse, if it has it's due to my foot getting heavier :D Every bit of info you could possibly need is right here in the forums. Good luck
-Rob

#5 ·
Search on my name also. Timb helped me with the swap, so there are many posts with pics, lists of part, and wiring changes.

I was kinda scared about doing it at first (changed motors before but had bad luck trying to swap something different in), but these folks made it as painless as possible.

I'm still running the stock program also, deffinately get a seat-of-the-pants improvement.

My MPG acctually went up. This is the first time my car has gotten into the 20s. Of course I changed alot during the swap like vac hoses, 02 sensors, etc.

I would do it again,
Rob

#6 ·
OK, I'm interested now. What kind of expense are we talking about after purchasing the engine? And what parts (besides the engine) would be good to get from the same donor vehicle? Bear in mind I have NEVER done an engine swap.

#7 ·
Traveler said:
OK, I'm interested now. What kind of expense are we talking about after purchasing the engine? And what parts (besides the engine) would be good to get from the same donor vehicle? Bear in mind I have NEVER done an engine swap.
Since you have a '97, you'll need a lot less parts than us 94/95ers. I think it would pretty much be a direct drop-in for you, whereas we needed a bunch of different parts, most of which were on the '96/97 4.6. I think the only thing you would need to get is a 94/95 timing cover.

#8 ·
Traveler said:
Extra expense should be little for you, just minor things such as front cover seals, crank seals, '94-95 front cover. No parts necessary besides engine from the Exploder (the engine should come with the engine wiring harness which you may need some connectors off of).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.