TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my "old" engine (rebuilt '97 vic engine with PI cams and old school aluminum intake) I would get detonation with the chip installed with premium and 22c plugs. I just put in an '02 explorer engine which is much more powerful, but I have noticed, even with the octane plug in (advanced timing) and regular gas with 22c and 180 stat, I get no detectable detonation. Can this newer engine take more timing? I dont understand why though, the CR shouldve been the same between engines. I'm going to Houston sometime soon to get a few dyno runs maybe some of you could interpret the charts then. Any points of view would be welcomed. I like to hear what other ppl think about this "problem." Thanks
-Rob

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
So you had detonation, but now you don't? And you're complaining??? :tongue: That's a good thing bro...my old motor had some detonation too which is gone now. It ain't no problem.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL just concerns me because it seems like I could get more timing out of it with no hassles.
-Rob

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am just guessing, but your older engine may have had more carbon in the combustion chambers, leading to hot spots and detonation.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I agree with Kleckner Carbon build up can create little glowing embers

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was some carbon buildup on the '97 engine. That was probably the culprit.
-Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts