TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Administrator
8,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two people have been killed and dozens injured after explosions rock the finish line at the Boston Marathon! :( There was also an explosion at the JFK Library across town.

What is this world coming to! :mad:

Joe

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Joe was just fixing to PM you to make sure you and yours are safe , Take care friend .

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Very sad indeed. :(

Now who the F did this? :mad:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My bet a 'Sand Flea" A few I missed during the Gulf War:mad:
It could also be a domestic terrorist; let's not forget Timothy McVeigh. I remember people thought it might have been islamic terrorists when it first happened b/c of the First World Trade Center bombing in 1993. We'll see what happens. Either way, it further illustrates why noone in their right mind would want to be President of the US (too many headaches).

Of course, let's also not forget the North Koreans. They've been agitating for a while and it's not inconceivable that they bomb a civilian American target (they sure as hell don't have the technical capability to hit us with a rocket yet).

-g

PS. It appears that the police have found two unexploded devices. That should give them a good deal more evidence to figure out exactly who built these awful things.
http://gothamist.com/2013/04/15/explosion_at_finish_line_of_boston.php#photo-1

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Don't ask me why, but I was thinking the same thing when I first heard the news. :thumbsd:

Joe
I wonder if this was because the attack didn't seem that "flashy". Yes, the venue was public (oldest marathon in America) but it wasn't say at the beginning when there are hoards of runners milling about just packed in like sardines. A crazy amount of folks were maimed but considering how dense even these crowds were, it's surprising to me that only 2 ppl have died so far. Given the carnage we've seen out of Iraq/Afghanistan, I think a foreign trained terrorist would have done far more damage. This also makes me believe the terrorist is home grown.

Since the target was entirely a civilian one and nothing mil/gov related (we'll see if the JFK library is related), it could just be another nutjob like James Holmes. If that comes true, I hope this means we start making meaningful changes on how we address the mentally ill.

At this moment though, it's too early to tell where things will go.
-g

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Just my .02, but I dare suspect North Korea put a little money in Al-Qaeda's itchy revenge seeking hands. However, it was a small scale attack, so either they didn't do it (not a large enough mass casualty event for them to justify it.) or they kept it small to keep the fingers from pointing at them. Could be domestic, but highly doubtful.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
horrible... just horrible.... i spent the last few hours of my work day, and another few after i got off, watching the news till my jaw hit the floor.

and people wonder why everyone is less friendly and willing to help others nowadays. you never can tell if their a lunatic waiting to blow you and the people around you to hell...

what made me smile through all of that is the people running twords the carnage looking to help! if i was their, that's where i would be.

all i can say is it could have been much worse(not that it wasn't bad), and i hope nobody else dies from injuries. and we find any more devices before they can be detonated.

then we just need to find these nutjobs and punish them to the full extent of the law.

edit: and it rises to 3 deaths...

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I think there is a bunch of info we just don't know yet (for example - the cell phone service is turned back on; they would not have done that unless they are SURE no other bomb can be detonated via cell phone).

People need to pay, that's for sure.

There was no third explosion - it was a fire alarm at the library.

My condolences to the people & families involved, you're all in my prayers.

I, like everybody in the world, wants answers as to who & why - it's just a matter of time for all that comes out.....

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
my wife and boys were there, as well as her sister and her 2 kids. it brings things into perspective. everyone finally made it home around 8:30 last night. thoughts and well wishes for everyone who wasn't as lucky.

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Yes, prayers for all those affected by yesterdays bombings.

In Darren's defense. If the name fits ... well then ...

Regardless of the color or ethnicity of the perpetrator(s) of this attack. They're scum of the earth who should die accordingly. :mad:

I'm sure we'll all know in due course who's responsible.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I have just seen the disturbing pictures on Foxnews.com. It's hard to believe that someone can plan and execute something like this without a conscience. Kids were hurt and killed, and that is not cool.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
You may hurt us but you will NEVER break us

May peace surround you Boston and your people.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lbHMRpdk3_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
531 Posts
North Korea has marked the 101st anniversary of the birthday of its late founder, Kim Il Sung, but did not carry out a missile test that many expected. Analysts say it's too soon to know if North Korea’s recent provocations have ended.
The anniversary was the 15th. Also Boston's Patriot's Day. I remember originally thinking the 9/11 attacks were domestic terror because Terry Nichols of the OKC bombing was supposed to be sentenced along the same time frame.

I really had a strange feeling while watching the coverage of the Texas fertilizer plant explosion last night. It seemed too coincidental.

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
The anniversary was the 15th. Also Boston's Patriot's Day. I remember originally thinking the 9/11 attacks were domestic terror because Terry Nichols of the OKC bombing was supposed to be sentenced along the same time frame.

I really had a strange feeling while watching the coverage of the Texas fertilizer plant explosion last night. It seemed too coincidental.
Coincidental things happen some times.

Unfortunatly with the Texas explosion anyone close enough to tell how or where this fire started is probably dead. And all, if any, evidence of a malicious cause of this fire is surely destroyed.

Determining the source of the Texas explosion will indeed be much more difficult to establish.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Coincidental things happen some times.

Unfortunatly with the Texas explosion anyone close enough to tell how or where this fire started is probably dead. And all, if any, evidence of a malicious cause of this fire is surely destroyed.

Determining the source of the Texas explosion will indeed be much more difficult to establish.
I'm a little more optimistic on this one. I'm pretty sure that they will be able to figure out what went wrong even if the poor souls closest to the accident (and potentially to blame are no longer around.

I don't see how this Fertilizer plant is of strategic importance though. IMO, we'll know if this marathon targeting is global or if its just a domestic nutjob if something happens in London this weekend (London Marathon is next).

Since "Pressure Cooker" control is not on any legislative agenda like there is against firearms (there's no Mayors against Pressure Cooker Violence), I'm hoping we take a long hard look at how we deal with the mentally ill in this country.

-g

·
Administrator
8,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
May peace surround you Boston and your people.
Thanks Darren! :)

I found another video from last nights' Bruins game. :usa:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-KXHN-ETDig?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joe

·
Super Moderator
10,367 Posts
It's happened before:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_Disaster

From the article:
"The fire detonated approximately 2,300 tons (2,086,100 kg) of ammonium nitrate[1] "​

I saw this on Discovery, IIRC.

This is a similar one I remember seeing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster

Nevada, (and rocket fuel,) not Texas, tho.
There's a youtube vid if you're interested. (No, no links from me for stuff like that.)

Industrial accidents suck, whether it's "Gomer turning the wrong valve", or "Ahmed with C4" and a cause...

Not saying that's what happened here, but I can think of jobs I've worked at in the past that a suicidal psychopath could really cause BAD problems...

We are at a point as a society it looks like we are going to have to guard anything we want to keep safe and working... :facepalm:

Think of this: All of the foreign students from most countries have already served their mandatory military training before attending college here.

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Yea, I've seen the Nevada rocket fuel explosion video before. That's really something to see.

I knew it was just a matter of time before another attack happened. It was just a matter of where, when and how. I also knew it would be some other event/venue besides an airport or aircraft - think softer targets. Due to our free society American is intrinsically a soft target and there's very little we can do about that - short of being ever vigilant. The saying "If you see something say something" really holds true.

But after watching the FBI briefing this evening I can't say that the two individuals identified would have raised my suspecions had I seen them walking on the street; aside from setting a back pack down and walking away. Which in a crowd like that is obviously, pretty easy to do.
Hind sight is always 20/20.

I'd say that now that they've been identified, it won't take long to track them down. Possibly as early as tomorrow or by the end of this weekend they'll be arrested.

Yea, it's sad but true that "All of the foreign students from most countries have already served their mandatory military training before attending college here."

1 - 20 of 80 Posts