TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay my car has damage on the passenger side and I wanna have it repainted but the rest of the car looks fine.......being as thunderbirds have a dividing ine the entire way down the car would it be okay to paint just the one side???? Could I blend it to make it match????:2huh:

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Where's the damage?

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
It would be perfectly fine to just paint one side of the car. In fact, depending on where the damage is, you might not even need to paint that much. What you want to do is paint any panels that you replace, and any panels adjacent to those ones. For the replacement panels wet sand them with 500 grit paper before spraying color on them. For the adjacent panels, wet sand with 1200 grit paper. Then you want to sort of fade the color from the new panel into the color on the old panel. This way there won't be any distinct line where you see the new paint vs the old paint. Once the color is blended in, spray clearcoat over the repainted panels and the blended panels. Once the paint has fully cured, wet sand and buff the panels you didn't replace and without really looking at it, you won't be able to tell where one panel was repainted and another wasn't.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Well then, you will probably have to repaint the fender, door, and quarter, and blend maybe the hood and the front bumper. That is assuming the quarter can be repaired and the damage doesn't go all the way to the back bumper. If the quarter has to be replaced, you're looking at also painting the trunk and roof. In theory you could paint just the side, but the new paint never exactly matches the factory stuff, unless its black, so that's why you have to blend into the adjacent panels so you can't see the line of this panel is one color, and the one next to it is a slightly different color.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts