TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all just wondering what color would look good with red interior for my 94 bird? right now its the factory brick red color and im wanting to change it but have no clue yet on which color. i was thinking maybe an electric blue metallic, dark emerald green or maybe just plain old black so it would kinda match the interior. the red on red deal is kinda fugly to me lol.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
black was my first choice i might stick with it cuz red pretty much goes with black, think the green and the blue might make it look weird lol:zdunno:

pretty much the whole car needs sanded down to bare metal, all of the clear is flakin pretty bad and when they repainted it the colors never matched. also i thought of the chameleon color, never seen a bird with that kind of color before but since black is cheaper i might go that route :D

·
Registered
708 Posts
IMO, the only color that goes with red interior is white. jus like it used to be.

'55 tbird paint code "E": Snowshoe White. that'd be sweeeeet

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
metallic black is the color i think im goin with, found a site that sells it pretty cheap for single stage paint. http://www.paintforcars.com/kits_metblack.html . not too bad for all the needed stuff like reducer and hardner lol. i might get a couple extra courts of clear just to make her shine and look like you can stick your hand in the paint:D

·
Registered
708 Posts
metallic single stage cannot be colorsanded and buffed, so forget about that shine. and if youre gonna clear it just use black metallic basecoat. then clear over that.

toyota code 209 is a sweet metallic black
honda b92p and b96p are good too

·
Registered
744 Posts
i vote for minerial gray..

sorry for the huge pic.

Ford offered it in 05 with red leather seats, it looked very very sharp. I'd go with the minerial gray, and get black carpet, headliner, rear shelf.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dunno if i want basecoat clearcoat, used to work in a body shop for 2 years plus 2 years of vo-tech and kinda liked the single stage better in my opinion. singlestage you just wet sand it and apply the coat already mixed with clear, easier too if your car has been keyed or what not. i know its a pain to match panels cause of the metallic blending right but if you stay in a single color with no metallic or pearl then its all right just buff away lol. i might just go the jet black look for now if i change my mind later or something. the paint thats on it now is flaking bad and a rust hole right behind the door on the pass. side:mad: but other than that the body is straight with no dents which is good cuz i hate bondo lol. i'll figure out something sooner or later and hope for the best:)

·
Registered
608 Posts
im thinking about doin a black with a blue candy coat on it. ive seen it on a cougar (new edge crap) runnin around here, and it looked good, but i think ill just get the mocha frost reapplied.

·
Registered
608 Posts
just do things the easy way and get a normal color...yes? no? eh well

i perosnally think the metal flakes look nice, but you have to do it right or it looks like sh*t

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
modbird said:
no such thing exsists. clear goes on top only.
hate to be the bear of bad news but "singlestage" paint is basecoat and clearcoat mixed together, hardener and reducer is what thins it out to make the parts you need in a mixing cup. basecoat-clearcoat is where the clear is applied on top of the base and also uses a hardener and reducer to thin the base and clear to paint. 2 totally different types of applications there.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
708 Posts
hate to be the bear of bad news but "singlestage" paint is basecoat and clearcoat mixed together, hardener and reducer is what thins it out to make the parts you need in a mixing cup. basecoat-clearcoat is where the clear is applied on top of the base and also uses a hardener and reducer to thin the base and clear to paint.
the way i see it, there are lots of people here looking for paint info. that stuff right there is just wrong. when I mix single stage at work( yes, I do this for a living) the same base toners are used but mixed with a clear binder, not clearcoat. urethane clearcoat goes on top of plain bascoat. these are two totally different products. clear doesnt mix in with anything, only on top.

the only exception is certain red metallic colors. Ford code E9, Laser red used a tinted clear midcoat, which is clear, tinted red, but that is still covered over by straight clear.

what exactly did you do at this body shop, wash cars?? after 8000 cars sprayed, i have mixed and sprayed SS more than once. never once mixed clearcoat with basecoat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts