TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Extreme Chugging at lower RPMs, car runs hot.

I own a 1995 4.6L thunderbird with 120, 000 miles. I recently upgraded the plugs, wires and coil packs. I cleaned the MAF and installed the K&N cold air kit. I changed the oil and replaced it with synthetic 5w 30. After the upgrades, the car has ran good with no problems. Recently I topped it out going down a straight stretch and put it in neutral to coast. After I put it in neutral the car died. So I coasted to the stop sign and restarted it, It didn't seem to chug right then but something wasn't right. My house was a mile away I drove it there and shut it off. The car started to smoke from the engine compartment, smelling kind of like oil maybe antifreeze (not sure). I didn't pay much attention to it, until I went to drive it in the morning. The car started chugging big time, and seemed to even have a lack of power in higher RPM's. It also doesn't take long for it to warm up. After this problem I've tried running see-foam through it, Didn't help. I took out the spark plugs and checked them, they were all coated in ash with no other deposits. My check engine light was never on and it does works. Right after this Happened I checked the oil and it was a quart and a half low.
I don't even know where to begin to look for my problem. Please help with any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
since your car has high miles, i would stay away from synthetic. it tends to make leaks or make any you had worse. i tried some in my sable and now it leaks. sucks. but as for running funny, im not really sure whats up with that. maybe the cats need checked or soemthing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I went to go drain the oil and replace it with non synthetic, and I noticed oil all over behind the oil pan. Not sure where this leak is, if there is. I was just wandering if this would have an effect on the way the engine runs if oil were to leak out. Also wondering what the rubber plug is for on the (flywheel?)pan right behind the oil pan?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
dang your posting all over the place lol remove those 02s yet?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Take a deep breath, sit down have a smoke and coke or what ever it is that you drink. Relax...
First decide what you are going to check first. If it is overheating "insanely fast" check the coolant as guitar maestro suggested. It should be clear with that antifreez green color. Don't worry about the junk stuck to the side of the coolant over flow tank. Most cars get that after 100,000 miles. Then check the termostat and the water pump.

See if the oil level is good after you added the 1.5 qts. Try laying news paper under the car, start it and see if the main seal is actually leaking. If it is bad enough for the car to loss 1.5 qts then it will be obvious.

Check the coolant for oil...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
if its warming up super fast and runs rough my best guess is exhaust blockage remove the forward o2s and then start it up if it runs better thats your prob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I scanned my computer and no codes came up.
I'm going to check my antifreeze, thermostat, and pull out the oxygen sensors in the morning. I'll post the results after I check all that.
-Thanks for the help

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take a deep breath, sit down have a smoke and coke or what ever it is that you drink. Relax...
First decide what you are going to check first. If it is overheating "insanely fast" check the coolant as guitar maestro suggested. It should be clear with that antifreez green color. Don't worry about the junk stuck to the side of the coolant over flow tank. Most cars get that after 100,000 miles. Then check the termostat and the water pump.

See if the oil level is good after you added the 1.5 qts. Try laying news paper under the car, start it and see if the main seal is actually leaking. If it is bad enough for the car to loss 1.5 qts then it will be obvious.

Check the coolant for oil...
I checked my coolant level it was good, I drained some and checked it. The fluid was clean from anything with a brownish-green color, I'm not sure if it has oil in it, if it would I think there would be some separation, right? I think it defiantly needs to be flushed! I pulled the thermostat and I think its good, not sure how to tell.

As for the main seal I'm sure that it leaks but not enough to lose 1.5 Qts. I should say prior to the incident last time I checked the oil was 2 1/2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
With that amount of time between the oil dropping, it sounds more like valve seals to me than a gasket or main leak, especially if it gets driven hard on occasion.

Jay

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if its warming up super fast and runs rough my best guess is exhaust blockage remove the forward o2s and then start it up if it runs better thats your prob
I removed my O2 sensors, and it seemed to run the same, maybe a teeny bit better, it seemed as if it had even less power. It made it quite a bit louder though;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With that amount of time between the oil dropping, it sounds more like valve seals to me than a gasket or main leak, especially if it gets driven hard on occasion.

Jay
If my problem is valve seals, what is a good test?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts