TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm in the market for a work truck. Of course a Ford F-150/250! Come may I graduate from college, and am going straight to starting my own residential design and construction business...with some help. Part of the deal is I get a work truck. I have about $5000 to spend on it, and would like it to be a 97+ if possible (I like that body style). Low-mid mileage, regular cab long box, would take a super cab if the price is right, a V-8 is a MUST for me. What kind things should I look out for when buying one? Any suggestions or recommendations? I need to be pointed in the right direction, I've never shopped for a truck before. The best thing about it is that I'll be able to drive it and work on the Bird some more! And I'll finally have something to haul around big stuff, like that dang hood thats just up in Nebraska! Anyway, help me out guys! Thanks!

-Joel

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'll second that!!! The F-150's are holding their values something fierce. Dang it!!! :mad:

I have one question: When you say, "work truck" what do you mean? I think of a work truck as one that hauls lumber, rock, roofing, or anything else that needs hauling. But some people think of a work truck as a "work place" where they do business.

If you’re thinking along the lines of my idea of a work truck, I would recommend getting a late 70's/early 80's F250/F350. They are cheap, easy to fix, and they can last forever! While they may not "look" all that nice, they definitely get the job done. And if it’s well taken care of they can also look very nice. (And well within your price range) :thumbsup:

If it's the other people's idea of a work truck, then I would recommend a nice late 80's/early 90's van. A van is VERY nice to work out of. The space for documents, automation, etc is endless in a van. And they are usually decently priced.

Just my .02 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
seroiusly look for a 92-96, f150 , f250 , f350 , and 97 f250sd , they are BETTER built truck and will give you less headache than a 97 + f150 or 250 and you can find them all day for the price your looking for

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm looking for a work TRUCK. No "holding documents", I'm looking to haul 2x4's and plywood, stuff like that :D. I would settle for a nice 92-96 F-150, my dad has a '91 that is so mint you could eat off any part of it, he's obsessive with it. Here's the catch. I know a private dealer near home that buys wholesale from Ford dealers around the area. We have bought several cars off of him, all great deals. Would wholesale price be in my $5000 range for a 97+? I plan on going to talk to him again soon, so he can look for one of those, as well as maybe a 96 Bird. So is a 92-96 a better truck than the 97+? Anyway thanks for the comments...much appreciated.

-Joel

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
yes they are, they had some usual issues, but nothing like the problems we see with the 97 +

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would if I could hit that 9K mark, sorry bud. Plus I don't want to trash anyone's baby...Just want a nicer one that can get roughed up on occasion.

-Joel

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Call Heartland Motors in Raytown MO. For work/construction Vans and Trucks.

816-353-8900 Ask for Earl, tell him Mike told you about him. He usually has several E Series and F series 150's and 250's. These are WORK trucks. Nothing fancy, usually white, V-8, automatics, and an am-fm radio. So you don't have to pay for the fancy stuff like pw, pl, stereo, carpet, etc. He buys them from larger fleets. If he hasn't got em he can get em.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I have a 95 300cid I-6 5 speed. Nothing fancy. I'd let it go for 4K.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The 300 6cyl is a good engine, real torquey. In my opinion it was better than the V-6's they are using now. Well, for hard work anyway.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
300-6 or 351w for the 92-96 trucks, 302's just never belonged in a pickup truck (or 4.6L's for that matter). You can Honestly expect 20mpg out of a 300-6 5speed truck if its in good running order, 18mpg if its an auto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts