TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well , after getting tired of a spikey tq/HP peak, and some crazy tq down low in the power band, I took things apart, and really altered the flowpath of the lower plenum. I actually tried cutting it up with a chainsaw, but the vibes were too bad, so I hadda use a sawzall, a plumbers bottoming cutting wheel , and a dremel... The lower runners were cut in a vee where they were common to get a flow that would actually be common to both sides of the plenum separation.... I removed the center separator on the down tube from the goose neck, and altered the flow some more.The upper aluminum runners were " adjusted" internally to get uniform 9" runner lengths ... Then, the moment of truth, a dyno run at Ramsey's Performance in Tampa on 9/13... trusting Dennis Ramsey explicitly, i read a book while he did 3 pulls and some tweaks.... didnt sound as gnarly as last time.... was called back to the dyno with the question "Is this O.K.?''.... The only possible respnse was sure looks good to me...results were pretty obvious... where I had a tq/power spike occurred was a nice red line with 4 more horsepower... not a lot, but down lower It showed a 27 hp increase, a nice fat smooth curve with about 8 more horsepower from right after the spike to5400 rpm...from 3800 to 5200 rpm, the average gains were 18.62 RWHP, and 23.12 ft/lbs RWTQ, so all griping about height aside, the truck manifold can make horsepower with some modifications and a little thought... cost about 15 bucks for sawzall blades , about 10 bucks worth of dremel flap sanding wheels and of course my time (worthless!) this mod would also be of interest to F-150 owners with a light truck chassis and the 5.4, as long as they arent interested in towing 10 ton trailers in the lower powerband...anyhow thats my answer to the 5.4 manifold prob....anyone want pics ? contact me at: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx john... i never had patience to post pics on this site

1 - 3 of 3 Posts