TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 F-150 4.6L 4x4 off road package, and I need to tow a '92 Bonneville about 50 miles home. U-haul says my truck cant handle it cause it isnt heavy enough? I have a class 3 hitch, and would like to just get the auto transport trailer and tow the car home. Is this safe to do and u-haul is just wrong? I just see no problem with a full size truck towing a car 50 miles. Opinions? Melon, I know you have an f-150! Help!

-Joel

·
Registered
457 Posts
i dont see why it would be a problem as long as the trailer has hydrualic ram brakes, since you probably dont have trailer brakes on the truck. the truck shouldnt have any trouble doing the actual towing.

jmo

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
My '97 F-150 4.6L 4x4 has a towing capacity of something just north of 7000 lbs and I don't think a '92 Bonneville weighs that much! Make sure that they have the correct motor, transmission and differential gearing selected. I have 3.55's and a 4R70W. . . . .Since U-HAUL probably can't let you use/buy the trailer without verifying that it qualifies, you may need to go to the service department at a Ford dealer and get them to print off something "official" so that U-HAUL will sell/rent you the trailer.

edit: I DO have trailer brakes. . . . .If you have the factory towing package and the XLT trim in '97 the trailer brakes were standard and part of the electrical connector.

·
Registered
457 Posts
cool, didnt know that....i'll have to tuck that little piece of info away for if i need it again.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Been my experience that if the UHaul computer says they can't rent it they won't. It's all about the insurance liability these days, not real towing capacity - just ask the Explorer owners. My advice would be to look for a local yokel type place that has their own equipment.

Is the towed car a front wheel drive? Sometimes they'll rent dollys when they won't rent trailers. I'm thinking a Bonneville may be too wide for a dolly but can't hurt to check.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
kermit said:
cool, didnt know that....i'll have to tuck that little piece of info away for if i need it again.
When I get home I will scan the table out of the owner's manual and post it so that it is available for everyone.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
GODSPEED said:
I have a 98 F-150 4.6L 4x4 off road package, and I need to tow a '92 Bonneville about 50 miles home. U-haul says my truck cant handle it cause it isnt heavy enough? I have a class 3 hitch, and would like to just get the auto transport trailer and tow the car home. Is this safe to do and u-haul is just wrong? I just see no problem with a full size truck towing a car 50 miles. Opinions? Melon, I know you have an f-150! Help!

-Joel
The curb weight looks to be about the same as a T-Bird - and if you figure a trailer is around 2,000lbs - atleast that's what mine weighs. And if the owners manual says you can pull 7,000lbs - then you should be OK. What kind of trailer are you trying to get? If you was closer, I'd offer mine - or to even come get it.

I would recommend a brake controller of some kind - it'll make your life easier. In my 00, I already had the wiring there under the dash - I just had to get the other half to plug into the Ford harness and connects to the brake controller.

You may haveta upgrade the hitch - I don't remember for sure if mine is a 3 or 4?

If you have any questions - shoot me an e-mail and we'll go from there.

-Melon

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I think my brother has decided to sell it to pick n' pull anyway. They can come get it. :D

-Joel

·
Registered
221 Posts
class III

I have a 2006 "RV & Trailer Towing Guide" ----a Ford publication available at the dealer. Class III is shown as having a Gross Trailer Weight of 5000 lbs max. Over that requires a class IV. I am sure the specs for earlier years are the same.

I dont recall the reason U-Haul gave me (some time ago), except that I was hauling a 90 mustang GT with my 93 bronco and it was O.K. ---probably borderline. I think they key on the weight of the towed vehicle VS weight of tow vehicle. I think a tow dolly would work, doubt that the track width would be a problem. If all else fails, tell them you plan to haul a Yugo---and drive carefully ;)

Dont just take a countermans word, push em for an explanation. Remember you are the customer and they want to make some money off of you.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I hauled a Grand Am 220 miles back from school w/my 97 5.4. Trailer prob weighed 3k lbs (home built jobby) no trailer brakes. It handled it just fine. Just had to keep the cruise off to keep it from shifting all the time up and down the hills.

Joe

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Towing Tables from '97 Owner's Manual

As Promised

Page 1:

Page 2:

Page 3:

Page 4:

I did notice that the 5.4L isn't listed in these tables. . . . .I guess that is what I get with an early '97 truck in a new body style? :confused:

Sorry about page 2 not being the same size as the others, but I couldn't get the scanner to cooperate with me on copying this single page and I gave up after about 15 minutes of trying different things.

·
8,239 Posts
Its alot of weight guys.

I have a 4.6L 2wd f150 with the 3.73 rear end.

I would cringe towing a tbird on it.

I think uhaul won't rent it to you because the brakes on the f150 aren't enough.

Instead of a drive on trailer, you might want to look into a dolly, since a bonneville is fwd.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I have a 97 w/ the 4.6l and 4x4.
I tow my 95 bird all the time with it.

I have also towed an 85 F150(around 7000 lbs), just over 100 miles....no problems.
You will be just fine.
Just keep it out of overdrive.

·
Registered
221 Posts
tow ratings

I dont believe there is any issue at all with the brakes on the truck. Certainly the truck is rated to tow the weight of the trailer (~ 2000 #) + the weight of the car (~ 3500 # maybe a little more) or around 5500 to 6000 lbs.

I have towed a u-haul car hauler w/ a car on it. Those trailers have " Surge brakes" on them, that are hydraulic brakes (like on a car/truck) operated by the inertia of the towed tlr/car when the tow vehicle applies its brakes. The brakes of the trailer are sufficient to stop the trailer + load (if within its rating). Surge brakes or trailer brakes of some kind are required in most states on trailers over a certain GVW. Ask anyone who tows boats (I have one of those "holes in the water" also) about brakes (and maintaining them :mad: )

Regardless of the GCWR of the truck, the class III hitch is not rated for over 5000# It does not matter if you have a Yugo or a Tractor from an 18 wheeler, if the hitch is only a class III (again, up to 5000 # GCW) you cannot legally tow anything over 5000 #. Does not matter if the sun is shining or venus and mars are aligned------NO. Understand that the hitch rating and the tow vehicle ratings are two separate, distinct issues. There are about 3 types of trailer brakes available (excluding big truck rigs), and I have towed with all of them. Surge, Electric, vacumn assisted, and all of the use either drum or disc that are hydraulic or electro magnetically applied. The towing harness provided with the pkg is for trailer lights as well as electric brakes. That does not limit you to electric brakes only.

U-haul, like everything else this day and time is CYA. They do not dictate what the mfg's rate vehicles to tow. They add their own requirements to CYA (actually CTA)) Yes, your truck will tow the weight more than just "fine". The class III hitch could be an issue, depending on the actual weight of the trailer. A tow dolly would be a great way to go, just remember, no sharp turns and get the drive wheels on the dolly or remove DS if automatic RWD. Anyway, if you havnt already parted out the car, then LOL. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was told the same thing when I wanted to tow my Diamante with my Land Rover. U-Haul said my truck wouldn't do it, but I have the capacity to, a little over 7,000 pounds. I then learned from RYDER, that it wans't my truck, but the frame of the Diamante wouldn't hold up to being towed on a dolly, had to be a flat bed. The problem might not be woth your truck, but with the car your trying to tow. If a truck is rated to tow 7,000 pounds, then it should be able to stop the same weight with the stock brakes. Trailer brakes just make it easier, and less work for your truck. :tongue:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ryder

Ya know, that is about the lamest excuse I have heard yet! No doubt thats the reason they can officially use, but it must have come from Mrs. ******'s 3rd grade school of engineering :confused: ----and I'm not even an engineer. Any vehicle that has a frame so delicate as to be unable to stand the HIGH Stress of resting on a tow dolly, will certainly not catch my hogbody in it :rolleyes: I would think that, if anything, the stresses on a dolly would be far less than normal driving.

My sympathies PWINCORP ;) Did you get a close look at the eyes of the person who told you that? Were his eyes glassy or were the pupils very large for the amount of light in the room. Sometimes I just want to cry--------:rolleyes:

·
Registered
958 Posts
GODSPEED said:
Thanks guys, I think my brother has decided to sell it to pick n' pull anyway. They can come get it. :D

-Joel
u talking about the old u-wrench-it? or just a junkyard in general?

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah the old u wrench it. Truman & I-435. Headed there right now to pull the cd player and hand over the papers.

-Joel

1 - 20 of 23 Posts