TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ok ok

wtf..

i take it off to replace the pulley.. put it back in and now the pulley rests snugly against the friggen timing cover and won't turn

what gives.....

also, as we know there are 3 bolts.. one the coil pack rests on, one that holds the gay little do nothing bracket, and one on the bottom that does nothing.. well.. the one on the bottom that does nothing has decided to grab the last 2 or 3 "rings" if you will and pull them out of the hole, so now it doesn't want to tighten.. can i use a washer on the tensioner here?

how about a washer on those 2 other holes to get it to gap a little... i'm off by maybe a 1-16th of an inch..

wtf

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Sounds like they gave you the wrong pulley.

The correct one is the same pulley as the idler pulley.

And yes, you could use washer's as spacers.

·
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well.. i just grabbed my idler pulley and swapped that in

same problem

it is the same design as the one i just got... this new one is from advance, the idler was a replacement from Ford

now what

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Is the tensioner arm in the correct position when the belt is on?
The arm has a range of marks. If it isn't in that range, then the spring is worn.

If your old pulley wasn't hitting when you removed it, then something has to have changed in order for it to rub.

·
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is a 16th of an inch difference between the pulley i took off and both of these newer pullies... the one i took off was a replacement from autozone that i put in the idler place, and swapped into the tensioner.. i took the tensioner (ford) pulley and used that as the idler pulley

i now have the ford pulley in the tensioner again ( was rubbing ) and the advance pulley in the idler spot.

i used 2 1/16th inch washers for the top 2 bolts, no washer in the bottom and tried to use a lockwasher between bolt/tensioner to tighten.. no go..

belt is tight though, and takes 3500rpms pretty well :zdevil:

·
Registered
654 Posts
When my tensioner went :boom: Luckily while I was releasing it !!
Replaced it with a used one from a 1999 Lincoln -

Had the same problem - used washers to fix it - I thought at that
time that the arms not the pulleys were the culprit :confused:

Later

1 - 7 of 7 Posts