TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
the tailshaft, tailshaft housing and the linkage for sure, but i think the ratios are all goofy in the f150 trans as well. so everything else should probably swapped.

if you have a 3.8 why not just use the sc trans?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
because i cant get sc parts around here but i can get a complete swap from a guy on here but its alot to ship so if i just use what i need and get a truck trans it'll be cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
well the amount of effort and potential problems you can/will run into with this, a supercoupe trans is the best bet. no one here i know of has used a f150 trans to start with, except the junkyard one someone found years ago.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The truck tranny cannot be used. It would put the shifter up inside the console. It will be too far forward.

·
Super Moderator
7,489 Posts
Did the M5R2 even come in an F150 with the 4.2? Cause the 4.6 bell housing won't work at all, and since the bell housing is integral to the trans case, you wouldn't be able to bolt it to your 3.8.

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i can get the full swap from a guy on the board here but to cut down on shipping im gonna take the parts from his sc trans and convert an f150 trans

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Using the Trucks M5R2 would work with a `conversion' to tailshaft shift, but you will be running Brass Sychros which well, Make this tranny shift even more truck like then the one in a Supercoupe/XR7 which have Fiber lined ones.. BUT with that being said, the Brass ones will last alittle longer thou if you can get through the Fun of shifting :)

Parts needed to convert it over to tail shaft (May be more?)
  1. Shift Fork/Top Cover
  2. Tailshaft housing
  3. Shifter
  4. Shift rod/Rail
  5. Anything else related?? :)
Also i just do not know if the output shaft of the F150s would work with the SC's tailshaft housing..

·
Super Moderator
7,489 Posts
In that tbird someone found in the junkyard, wasn't there some problem with the speedo when using the F150 trans with the SC tailshaft housing? Also, if I remember correctly from that thread (what was that, like 4 years ago?) wouldn't you need to use all the internals from the SC trans? Basically just take everything from the SC trans and install it in the F150 case.

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
In that tbird someone found in the junkyard, wasn't there some problem with the speedo when using the F150 trans with the SC tailshaft housing? Also, if I remember correctly from that thread (what was that, like 4 years ago?) wouldn't you need to use all the internals from the SC trans? Basically just take everything from the SC trans and install it in the F150 case.
yep, thats why i was saying a doner trans would be the best, f150's used the cable style speedo

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Well the person that did the swap for some demented reason went with a cable driven speedo.. which makes no sense..

i have never taken apart a M5R2 out of a truck.. (have better things to spend my $$ on then to buy one :) ) But the only other Item i can think that may need changing is the Output shaft.. which is a fair sized piece and holds 1st to 4th gears on it, and those gears are different between the SC and F150.. BUT on the plus side they do slide off, so can they be swaped over too??
a little Googling and Looking at some Pics... Supposedly the `main shafts' (would that be the output shaft?) are different Between the Two trannies (Diameter wise) and going by pictures i've seen so far online of the F150 2wd trans.. the tailshaft on them are shorter then that of the SC's so with that being said, the Output shaft will be too short for the SC tail shaft housing.. So it's pretty good odds the whole Guts need to be swaped out.. But a phone call to someone that truely may know both Versions of the M5R2 will may be able to tell you if you can easily swap out the output shafts or no..

This Kinda swap may not be as easy as i thought.. So like someone above said.. a Core SC tranny may be the way to go for the swap?? But being i don't have a 2wd F150 M5R2 to play with I can try this I have the SC version times 3 :) (not including the ones IN the cars)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
yep, thats why i was saying a doner trans would be the best, f150's used the cable style speedo
Not all.. Some did have a Electronic speedo drive too.. Maybe it was just for the EEC/Cruise.. But by the info i gathered some did.. I'll have to look through my notes.. MAY be the newer trucks?? (99+?)

·
Registered
50 Posts
thats why you swap the tailshaft and shifter cover from the supercoupe tranny
hmm, I did not know that. IT makes things a lot easier easier. So I would be able to buy a truck M5R2 and use the conversion box?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I' not sure the swap is even possible. The thickness of the shifter forks is different between the Truck versions compared to the SC version. That is why the syncros can't be swapped between versions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts