TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i got a truck question. I have a 1997 F250 Heavy duty (old stlye body) I dont have a spare tire so i was wondering if a wheel from a Ford 1968 3/4 ton truck would fit on it? is it the same size and bolt pattern? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
time to break out the tape measure... i have no idea, but measure the lug holes center to center. also measure the center hole.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I am pretty sure that yours is an 8 on 6.5 and so was the older truck (and almost all 3/4-1 ton Dodge, Chevy, etc).

I was helping a co-worker look for a wheel for his 72 3/4 ton E series van, and I think he ended up finding a 2004 steel wheel/tire setup, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok it appears that the lug holes are the same, but the center hole on the 68 rim is 5in and the 97 is 4.5, will that matter or should i not use it?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
i dont think it would hurt. only if its smaller than what you're putting it on. it's a spare right? i wouldn't sweat it. also make sure it won't hit your brakes

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
It will indeed matter. The newer wheels are hub-centric. If you don't have some way to ensure that the old wheel is centered properly, it could be dangerous to drive on....annoying at best.

Hop on eBay or on car-part.com and find a suitable wheel/tire. It shouldn't be hard.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
the lug nuts won't center it up enough? it would get you off the side of the road if you had a flat, which is what spares are for. if you can't find anything else, it'll work

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i have not tried it yet but have messured the lug holes are the same size but the center hole is not, hmm i wonder?? The trucks only used to pull a 24foot hog trailer wow dangerous could it be lol. Maybe i should get the thunderbird's running again and pull it with one of them....eh to much work!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
pull a 24ft trailer w/ a bird.... get some pics of that!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
just take the trunk lid off. it'll work. might wanna shove some stiff springs under there too...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha good one bud! I was thinking that might work like right where the spare tire goes put the fitfh wheel right there. But i got 2 birds with shot trannys and really i am just to damn lazy anymore to bother with these things!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
shi***** lemme have that sc then. it'll go to a good home, i promise :D i'll take real good care of it for ya!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
who cares about rust? i don't... i'll slap the engine in my 94... shipping to 36613?? haha

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
NO, the lugs will NOT center the wheel well enough to move the truck at anything above parking lot speeds. You could sheer the studs off if it started shifting around on the lugs.

Wheels that are lug-centric have tapered seats and tapered nuts. The nuts then work together to ensure that wheel is centered. I'm not 100% sure about the 97 wheels, but I know the 99 wheels have flat holes and non-tapered lug nuts. There is play that could prove disastrous.

Do yourself a favor and spend a few bucks on the right wheel and tire. The purpose of a spare is not to "get you off the side of the road", it's designed to take the place of your existing tire and get you to where the original can be repaired or replaced. That's why trucks have full-sized spares. They're designed to be driven on.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks bud really it just seems not no one really knows i just figured it would work but hell i am glad someone told me before i put a tire on the rim really i appreciate it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok i just re-read what you posted, and i was wondering what you ment by flat holes? really this is alot of help and means alot!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts