TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Go to the technical articles on the main tccoa page and click gears. There's an article called simply Gears. Look in there. Then go look at the sticker on your driver's side doorjam and it'll give you you're AX code. Use that AX code to find out thwta rearend/gears you've got from the factory.

·
Registered
489 Posts
also, look on the top bolt of the pumpkin cover, there are 2 lines of numbers, look at the fist 4 spaces if you had a 3.27 trac lock it would read 3L27 if a 327 open it would read 3 27

Josh

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys.

n/m

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, now I'm pissed

My code on the door jam says "Y", which, on the list, is "conventional, 3.08". No wonder it takes a miracle to bust them loose from a dead stop. How much for a 3.27 pumpkin w/trak-lok? This means war.

Pat

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, how much highway driving do you do? If you do lots of it, go with the 3.27 Trac-Loc. If you rarely take your bird on the highway, look into getting a 3.73 Trac-Loc package. The 3.73s will make more of a sudden difference in the car than you'd believe since you're going from a 3.08 open.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Highway. Lots of it.

That's why I'm askin for the 3.27's.

Pat

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, with my stock 95 4.6L and my stock 3.27s, I run at 2100rpms at 70mph. That should give you an idea, and I quite them like personally. As for how much they are, I have no idea. Good luck though.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok.

How should this affect my times? I haven't taken it to the track yet, but most people w/3.27's run about a 16 flat in a stocker. With a 3.08, what, about a 16.3, more, less? God damn, this pisses me off. And a saw somewhere that a 3.73 pumpkin costs about $600, and you can install it yourself, so I'm guessing that a 3.27 is the same price and it's a do-it-yourselfer also? Man, this is a b!tch.

Pat

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
If you have a membership with TCCoA, you can call Dan Newman at 5 star Ford and see how much he can hook you up with one. Or you could call Dennis Reinart at www.reinhartautomotive.com and see if you can get a drop in unit from him. I'm not sure if Dennis does gears and pumpkins though. Good luck on your search.
My 95 with 3.27 Trac-Loc baseline is in my sig, but thats slow because I didn't know how to launch the car. I'll update that ET this saturday night when I go to the track again. Last chance for me to go before college starts.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks.

Also, go to this site http://home.flash.net/~rfm2/altitude.htm, find your barometric pressure, and use the link at the bottom to come up with a sea-level time. It will make you and everyone else feel better.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just did the test for your old time.

I guessed about the temp, but since you're in Texas, I put in 85degrees. With a "bad" launch, at sea level, it would have came to a 16.27 @ 84.95. Not bad. That's about on par, and with a better start, you could have a sub 16.

Pat

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Heh, funny you should guess 85*. thats what the temp was. And I was getting MAD wheel hop on nearly every run because I was over anxious and not paying much attention to launch technique. Saturday I plan to be systematic and find the best launch I can.

What do you recommend I do? Should I rev it to about 1600 and feather it in? If I 1600 it and then floor it I get hidious wheel hop, I know that from experience. How about keeping the revs a little lower than that?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well...

My best launch is when I take it up to about 1.8k, but I have a 3.08. I would do one run about halfway between idle and whatever launch you were using that night. (say, idle is 800, you launched at 1800 that night, so launch at about 1300). If she bites ya, lower it about 200. Need a little more spin, take it up 200. And remember: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hope this helps.

Pat

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, looked over your post again...

Like I said, do the average (800+1600 (not 1800, like i said) =2400/2=1200). Dip in gradually and smoothly, untill you are gunnin' it by about 2k. Then work from there, doin the 200rpm increase/decrease as needed. You should be able to whittle it down to a 15.9 (about a 16.5 at your track elevation).

Pat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts