TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Thunderbird Sport with a 4.6 liter V-8 - how can I tell if it equipped with a factory keyless entry system?

I just bought the car in April and was only given 1 key for it (it wasn't even a Ford key, it was generic) - without a keyless entry remote. I thought that the control module for the keyless entry system was mounted under the package tray in the trunk (there's no such module in my trunk), but I just read something on these forums that I think said on the '96 & '97 T-Birds/Cougars the module is located behind the dash near the glovebox/blower motor area. I changed my heater core last month and when I had the dash out, I saw a bright blue, rectangular module mounted just above and to the right of the glove box opening with both a large white and a large black electrical connector going into it. Anyone know what that module is?

I have a keyless entry remote from a 1997 Taurus that I tried programming using the ignition key on/off method (7 times, if I recall correctly), but that didn't do anything. I'm not sure if the Taurus and Thunderbird keyless entry remotes are the same or not, though. It also probably didn't work because my door ajar light is on all the time - probably due either to a bad switch or the fact that my driver's-side lower door hinge is bad (worn) and needs to be replaced (the door doesn't close properly because of this).

So, how does one determine if their T-Bird is equipped with a factory keyless entry system?

I do know that my interior lights come on at night when I lift the outside door handle - not sure if that's related to keyless entry or not!

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,468 Posts
Thats the give away on the 89-95's, the 96/7's didnt have a keypad at all.

Look in the driver side of the trunk above the wheelwell under the carpet, there should be a black box that covers the keyless module. If thats not there you dont have keyless.

If you do, to program it, find the empty connector on the outside of the box, short the pins and press unlock on the remote. This programs it to the car.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,808 Posts
Well I be da* !!! I have keyless and did not know it ! Thank you Matt for the info there. I have the black box :)

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
Just to add a little to Matt's post... The black box is just ahead of the fuel pump cutoff switch behind the carpet on the left side of the trunk. Turn the key to the ON position then short out the connectors. The locks should lock then unlock, indicating that they're ready for programming. Then push any button on the remote you want associated, then the locks will lock then unlock again, acknowledging the association of that remote to the system. Do the same for all remotes you want associated, then when you're done turn the key OFF. The locks will lock then unlock to show that programming is complete.

BTW, I have a spare remote for our cars I can sell if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do the '97 Taurus and '97 T-Bird share the same keyless entry remotes or do they take different ones?

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other thing - when I lift my outside door handle, my interior lights come on (without opening my doors, I mean). Is that a standard feature on a 1997 T-Bird or part of some optional package? I thought it might be part of the keyless entry system.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
9,517 Posts
Not sure about Taurus remote compatibility. The information on the back of the remote should be as follows:

TRANSMITTER 1
FCC ID: GQ4343CT4T
DOC: 1470 K763
TRW Inc 3165189

·
5,650 Posts
One other thing - when I lift my outside door handle, my interior lights come on (without opening my doors, I mean). Is that a standard feature on a 1997 T-Bird or part of some optional package? I thought it might be part of the keyless entry system.

Thanks,

Dennis
That was standard on all, keyless entry or not.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have a 1997 Thunderbird Sport with a 4.6 liter V-8 - how can I tell if it equipped with a factory keyless entry system?

I just bought the car in April and was only given 1 key for it (it wasn't even a Ford key, it was generic) - without a keyless entry remote. I thought that the control module for the keyless entry system was mounted under the package tray in the trunk (there's no such module in my trunk), but I just read something on these forums that I think said on the '96 & '97 T-Birds/Cougars the module is located behind the dash near the glovebox/blower motor area. I changed my heater core last month and when I had the dash out, I saw a bright blue, rectangular module mounted just above and to the right of the glove box opening with both a large white and a large black electrical connector going into it. Anyone know what that module is?

I have a keyless entry remote from a 1997 Taurus that I tried programming using the ignition key on/off method (7 times, if I recall correctly), but that didn't do anything. I'm not sure if the Taurus and Thunderbird keyless entry remotes are the same or not, though. It also probably didn't work because my door ajar light is on all the time - probably due either to a bad switch or the fact that my driver's-side lower door hinge is bad (worn) and needs to be replaced (the door doesn't close properly because of this).

So, how does one determine if their T-Bird is equipped with a factory keyless entry system?

I do know that my interior lights come on at night when I lift the outside door handle - not sure if that's related to keyless entry or not!

Thanks,

Dennis
Airbag sensor module. Don't wanna lose that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Airbag sensor module. Don't wanna lose that :thumbsup:
Yeah, I know - someone else in another thread identified that light blue module as the airbag module for me. Thanks, though.

Don't worry - I'm not in the habit of removing things from my Thunderbird that Ford put there without first knowing what they are. I figure Ford put almost everything there that they did for pretty good reasons!

Dennis

·
5,650 Posts
Mine don't, never have. I've owned it since day one.

Joe
I wonder if this is one of the things that Ford deleted for the 97, like the locking trunk release button and the support cylinder for the glove box. Did you try the passenger handle as well? Could be a bad sensor on the door handle if it does in fact have it equipped.

·
Super Moderator
9,517 Posts
I know for a fact that when I lift my passenger's door handle with the door locked the lights don't come on. I think the driver's door handle turns the lights on, but I can't really remember. I'll try to check later.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,808 Posts
Both door handles on my bird turn the lights on. For about 30 seconds.

Just found this . And My bird has this

Preferred Equipment Package 157A
Engine: 4.6L EFI V8

Includes variable assist power steering and HD 72-amp. battery.

Tires: P215/70R15 BSW

6-Way Power Driver Seat Adjuster

Illuminated Entry System

Rear Window Defroster

Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel

Wheels: Cast Aluminum

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?section=optionsAndExtras&makeid=14&modelid=187&year=1996&myid=2236&acode=USA60FOC081A0&mode=&aff=national

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well I have an airbag module for sale lmao. The guy that owns my donor car took it out and said "I think that's the computer..." I knew better but hey, if it had been the computer, I only got charged 40 for it. That ain't bad.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thats the give away on the 89-95's, the 96/7's didnt have a keypad at all.

Look in the driver side of the trunk above the wheelwell under the carpet, there should be a black box that covers the keyless module. If thats not there you dont have keyless.

If you do, to program it, find the empty connector on the outside of the box, short the pins and press unlock on the remote. This programs it to the car.

Just to add a little to Matt's post... The black box is just ahead of the fuel pump cutoff switch behind the carpet on the left side of the trunk. Turn the key to the ON position then short out the connectors. The locks should lock then unlock, indicating that they're ready for programming. Then push any button on the remote you want associated, then the locks will lock then unlock again, acknowledging the association of that remote to the system. Do the same for all remotes you want associated, then when you're done turn the key OFF. The locks will lock then unlock to show that programming is complete.

BTW, I have a spare remote for our cars I can sell if you're interested.

i lost my remote and need to program a new one
and im pretty sure i get how to do this but i have one question

does "short out the pins/connectors" mean unplug them?

·
Super Moderator
9,517 Posts
Shorting them out means to connect them together with something conductive; a paper clip or piece of wire, perhaps even a key.

And for anyone who might be interested, I no longer have a spare.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
^what he said. They are technically "unplugged" already.
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but if I have a 1997 Thunderbird without keyless entry, is it as simple as finding the box from a donor car and plugging it in to the appropriate connector in the trunk?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts