TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been kicking around the idea of bolting my Art exhaust from the dead bird to the Lincoln.
Real question is, is this going to improve performance over the stock setup considering everything forward of the cats is stock.

Thoughts???

Also, has anyone dissected a Mark VIII muffler to see what's inside?

·
The Parts Guy
7,425 Posts
IIRC, the Mark 8 exhaust is a few inches longer than the MN12 exhaust, so your Tbird exhaust may not fit the Mark 8.

-Rod

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I think that can be accomodated for. The mufflers on the Mark are at least 2 inches longer than the Bird.
I had thought about cat-back installation of the system.

The Mark exhaust mounting to the trans x-member is very intense. Not like the two little rods on the bird.

I would be basically be removing the third cat with an X-pipe and the piping would all be 2.5" mandrel vs 2.25 crimped

·
Registered
974 Posts
DEFINATELY worth it, take out the third cat while you are at it. I nonticed a nice difference in power and some great sound. Look at the dyno numbers I'm putting down and I don't have much of anything for power adders. Basically exhaust, underdrive crank pully (what 2hp??) and an 02 gt maf. So I'd say it's worth it, DO IT!!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your dyno sheets, those were with SCT tune?

I would be interested to know if you baselined it before the tune.

Your torque number is higher than most graphs I have seen, probably due to the 3.73s
but its obvious the exhaust getting opened up did not hurt torque.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yes they were with the SCT tune. I didn't baseline it before the tune becuse it was a dyno day and Jerry didn't have time. I had just installed the 02 gt maf and the transfer function wasn't diled in yet. I know that typically mark's put down about 210-220 sotck.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to tell then what really improved power. I think its a combo of things, mostly the tune.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yes, it definately isn't clear cut, if I could go back I would have done things differently. It would be nice to have a better idea how much each mod helped, but I've learned a lot since then. But if you do some seaches over at markviii.org most cars with no mods besides a tune will put down around 225-230 max, and there's not many in that range that are stock, most have at least an exhaust. I mean there's definately a lot of variables including the dyno but I know my car is running strong, which I can partly attribute to the exhaust. Also, when I had my car dyno tuned there was another mark but he had headers......he put down about 3 more hp from 4k rpm and up.......his car also had about 60k LESS miles on it. It made me feel pretty good about my set up. I don't know if you have ever taken the third cat of an mn-12 but the inlet tubing is actually a tube within a tube, so so small!!! I think that was the biggest gain in the whole exhaust system, cut the damn thing out. If you live in CA, it's not a good idea with all the smog nazi's. But in MA where I live we have emissions testing and I still pass with flying colors, even without the third cat. You will enjoy the sweet sound of the DOHC, even if there wasn't a HP gain the sound alone would be worth it (for me anyway).

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here it is in all its glory.
The drivers side header and CAT are one piece.
Swapped out the tranny and this had to come out first.

It needs help. The mount at the trans is very different than Bird's.

The muffler is larger than the Bird too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts