TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 Cat. Are there parts from other year or model vehicles that will enhance my performance such as heads, throttle bodies or ?.

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
Yeah, splitport heads and intake from a 99+ 3.8 mustang. Or just swap the entire splitport motor into your car. Other than that, there really isn't much you can do for a 3.8. If you don't feel like doing that much right now, you could always upgrade your drivetrain and suspension so that later on when you get some more power, you won't be breaking things.

·
Registered
513 Posts
96-97 3.8 exhaust manifolds are an upgrade and will give you a couple extra hp

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Curt, you just looking at the go department, or are you looking at the stop and handling departments, too?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the input. I'm on a very tight budget and can't afford alot of new stuff, but try to find stuff in salvage yards or something laying around someones garage for little or nothing.I just put in a pair of headers from a 96 stang, and had the exhaust custom built leaving the cats out, using 2 1/4 in pipe and a heartthrob di/do muffler. I figured that the exhaust was the first step to any other mods.
Oh and by the way guys, If I had the $$$ there would be a V8 making my kitty purr. But I don't,so I keep dreaming (At least they can't take that away.)
I've read elswere in this forum about split port stuff, is that the same idea that the SHO's had?Were there many vehicles with that set up?

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
get your car tuned if you want to gain the most out of what you have. Also try and find a 3.27 trac lok pumpkin in the junkyard(you would be very lucky to find one and its worth the 80 the yard would charge you) The smaller stuff can add up too, is maintenance handled first. Fix any rotted rubber bushings. Eliminate body flexing, improving your take off. You said youre on a budget so make sure you don't need any suspension work or other worn out parts. Also diff bushing help. Lots of stuff can be done to make your car feel faster without spending big $. I'd say with a better TC and jmodded or transgo kit(or some other good shift kit product, trans go for a 4r70w is a no no, not sure about aode) you'd be happy.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Curt,

Late model Windstars with the 3.8, 99+ Mustang V6s, and F-150 4.2L V6s are all splitports. The parts from the Mustangs and F-150s will fit on your block. Depending on how much you do yourself, and what the cost of parts are, will determine how much splitporting will cost you. It will add about 50% MORE HP to your engine.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
You can modify a NON-H.O. 5.0 (302) throttle body to fit the single-port engine. But the intakes should be ported to support such a large TB (60mm)

96-97 factory exhaust manifolds are a "shorty header" design, worth about 5hp.

Mark VIII 8.8 rear differential is worth about 35lbs weight savings. No power increase, but power to weight ratio improves, which does make you faster.

Mark VIII rear lower control arms are made of aluminum and are worth about 10lbs each. Same Power/weight idea.

-Thomas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts