TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
That's what I kinda figured to do because I have no records from the previous owner and since I've had it which was at 117k miles now 136k there has always been torque shutter. I figured out how to prevent it mostly from either acceleratin or slowing down. Canceling OD helped me with that quite a bit. However as mentioned above I feel as if the trans forgets what gear it's in. I figured best case scenario have them j mod it and replace the valve body. I was just afraid it'd be so bad considering it had no fluid in it. Can anyone point me into the direction of possible threads or diagrams I can give to my shop and tell them hey this is exactly what I want?
There are a bunch of threads that are stickied. The JMod doesn't require a new valve body. You re use your existing one. It's basically all about upgrading some Pistons in the transmission to the later improved piston design. And enlarging a couple of holes in the the separator plate to increase the line pressure on the shifts. It's essentially a "Shift Kit" that's approved by one of Fords Driveline engineers that helped develop the tranny. By combining the valve body mods with a fluid change. And adding a trans cooler the fluid life is prolonged and the trans life is increased. It's important to keep in mind that the trans needs to be in good shape to begin with. It's not a cure all.

If you google JMod you can find a couple of youtube videos that go a long way towards helping you understand the process. And you should probably buy the parts from the Ford Parts Counter listed in the buy and sell section. You'll get genuine ford parts at the same price as aftermarket generic parts. My order shipped very fast also. But NC is only a day away from ohio.

Here a list from Brandon's JMod build thread. The prices have gone up slightly since then but not horribly so.

JMod Part Numbers

F75Z-7F284-AA 1-2 Accumulator Upper Spring $3.59
F4AZ-7F247-A 1-2 Accumulator Retainer Cover $4.79
F7AZ-7F251-AA 1-2 Accumulator Piston $13.19
F7AZ-7F284-BA 1-2 Accumulator Lower Spring (optional, used to soften the 1-2 shift) $31.21
F7AZ-7H292-AB 2-3 Accumulator Piston $7.19
F6AZ-7A098-A Tranny Filter $19.32
XW7Z-7D100-AA Separator Plate Gasket $1.61
1L3Z-7C155-AA Separator Plate Gasket $1.55

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here a list from Brandon's JMod build thread. The prices have gone up slightly since then but not horribly so.

JMod Part Numbers

F75Z-7F284-AA 1-2 Accumulator Upper Spring $3.59
F4AZ-7F247-A 1-2 Accumulator Retainer Cover $4.79
F7AZ-7F251-AA 1-2 Accumulator Piston $13.19
F7AZ-7F284-BA 1-2 Accumulator Lower Spring (optional, used to soften the 1-2 shift) $31.21
F7AZ-7H292-AB 2-3 Accumulator Piston $7.19
F6AZ-7A098-A Tranny Filter $19.32
XW7Z-7D100-AA Separator Plate Gasket $1.61
1L3Z-7C155-AA Separator Plate Gasket $1.55
are these the only parts i need in order to complete the jmod?

·
Registered
484 Posts
are these the only parts i need in order to complete the jmod?
That's my understanding. I have the parts but haven't done mine yet. You will also need a set of "Number" drill bits in order to drill the holes in the separator plate out to the new diameter. Harbor Freight has a complete set for 19.99 or so. Or you can buy the specific size you need singly off Amazon.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Okay thank you. I've actually been writing things down throughout the week trying to know exactly what I should buy. I just heard from my shop and they said it seems pretty burned up. Welll. Ima go look at it before they can say anything else. Newb question but this is considered a shift kit of sorts correct? Is there anything else I can do to upgrade the transmission along with the jmod?

·
Registered
966 Posts
It is THE shift kit for 4R70W and siblings. All the other kits are garbage and will eventually help destroy the transmission. The JMod is different. The design comes from one of the transmission engineers.

The best part is you can make it how you want it. It can be really harsh or it can be just a tad firmer than stock.

Factory transmissions are made to slip so the shifts are nice and smooth. Slip = Heat. To combat that you open up holes and make it so it doesn't slip, which in turn firms up the shifts. Too firm for a nice smooth ride for everyone; The elderly don't want neck snapping shifts so that's why it's not factory. Although the later year transmissions have bigger holes in some spots for faster shifts.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thank you for reassuring me thunderbird. I just now spoke to the mechanic working on my vehicle he showed me how all my clutch discs(is that the proper term?) Are burnt up with no grooves on some of them what so ever. So it definitely needs replaced I think he thought I was dumb by asking him that I want the jmod specifically and he kept saying he will look at what he can and see what they would or wouldn't want to be done to this transmission. Since there is so much information about jmods on our vehicles do you think, upon him looking up any half way decent trans tech would realize this jmod is the way to go? Can anyone point me into the direction to buy all the parts needed or is it a one by one part type deal?

·
Registered
484 Posts
There's a Poster named RobertP that has a shop in North Carolina. You'll have to search the name. He can do a complete JMod Kit for you WITH a predrilled separator plate. As I recal the price with plate is in the 100 to 110 range. If the trans shops not comfortable with doing this then this is probably the best way to go.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132869

There's a older thread of his.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
There's a Poster named RobertP that has a shop in North Carolina. You'll have to search the name. He can do a complete JMod Kit for you WITH a predrilled separator plate. As I recal the price with plate is in the 100 to 110 range. If the trans shops not comfortable with doing this then this is probably the best way to go.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132869

There's a older thread of his.
[

Yeah I saw him. I just order the parts and he sends me everything? Then just throw it on my tranny? Well have the shop do it?

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/shiftybusiness.html

Print this and hand it to them and they should get the idea.
That's what I was going to do but I didn't want to insult them. They kinda looked at me like they were bothered by what I was saying to them. But maybe these older guys didn't like that a young person made them show them the tranny they pulled in turn showing me every clutch plate that was worn out lmao. Oh well I can't see inside and I'll be damn if someone says oh we switched your tranny and my **** starts messing up again. Oh well for peace of mind ima give it to them. Because I recall him saying he will look it up and see if they recommend doing this because there are so many shift kits. Then I stated this is a shift kit for the trans it just happens to be from the engineer of the trans as aposse to transgo or b&m. Some reason I feel as if that blew his mind.

Random thought. Can anything else beside the torque converter such as the clutches be upgraded aswell?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.