TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it's not one thing, it's something else. My car has been running much hotter than normal, getting well past the M and staying there unless I get on the freeway where temps drop to just below the N. Todayafter getting her home my curiosity piqued me: I left her running, raised the hood and monitored the engine running realizing that after 20-30 minutes the fan never once turned on.. the temps again rising above the M.. turned her off. I was at the local auto parts store about to get a new coolant temp. sensor when the fella behind the counter suggested that it may be a fan relay switch instead. So.. before purchasing anything I thought better to return here and bow before those whom are more knowledgeable with the MN12.

First: I didn't know the 4.6 had a fan relay switch.

Second: Can one test this 'switch' to ensure it is the culprit before blindly throwing money on a part that might not 'fix' it afterall?

FIY - The coolant was flushed last Sept.. green coolant fills the reservoir, and I tested the thermostat to ensure it functioning.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
The Fan relay is located inside the Relay module ( in front of airbox ) - you could test for voltage at the fan motor or the CCRM. Most likely your fan motor is bad but it doesnt hurt to check first.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CCRM? Sorry, I think I know everything about this engine and then this is thrown at me and I'm scratching my head. The volts at the fan motor kept jumpin around but it never read higher than 9.8... I'm still undecided what to point the finger at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts