TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a way to turn the rad fan on at 180 degrees without buying a computer chip?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way to turn the rad fan on at 180 degrees without buying a computer chip?

Thanks
Yes, I do. I can share it with you, but what have you done for me lately? lol j/k

Hold on and I'll hook you up with a plan...... I know it's somewhere in these thousands of notes......

Now, please realize that you are making the computer think that the engine is hotter than it really is making the fuel mixture a little rich which should not hurt anything except maybe your emissions.

So, at about 195* the low fan kicks on. You want it to kick on at 180*, so you want the computer to "think" the engine is at 195* since it controls the fan. The ECT sensor measures about 2650 ohms or 2.65K at 195*.

The resistance at 180* is about 3750 ohms or 3.75K. If you soldered a 9100 ohm (9.1K) 1/4 watt resistor across the ECT plug so that resistance is in PARALLEL with the sensor, you should get the desired effect - the fan will kick on at about 180*.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,452 Posts
Wire in a trip relay in the CCRM harness?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Or you could get a adjustable fan control kit from summit Racing for 40 plus shipping I suggest you use a fan wire harness from a bone yard and pull the fuse and relay and put them in the glove box

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help! These cars run way too hot. I am surprised that no one has come up with a new fan switch like GM has.

Thanks again,
Steve

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not a problem just put the unit inside the car under the dash. The kit I used was made by derail might be spelled different but that's the one that I got

1 - 6 of 6 Posts