TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
{I thought I saw a thread like this when I first came on here.. showed up in a search, I think, but now can't find it. If Mods know where it is, just append this to it.}

I'm too old, too lazy and too broke.. but my #1 fantasy project is this car:

Now before you laugh, a story:
In early eighties my boss and I were going to lunch and someone drove through the lot with a nicely trimmed and painted M II. My boss said: "That is one effin ugly car!"

I said "You dont like Mustangs?" He said "That's no Mustang, the Mach I is a Mustang". {See one here.}

I just turned and grinned and made a show of shoving my finger down my throat. I was also a little surprised because he drove an Avanti, and later he collected a Cad Allante so it's not like he just went with the flow.

But I considered every mustang from 68 on to have an overweight problem and the 'reset' to a pony size car to be the right idea. The problem in the execution was two-fold:

For some reason Iacocca thought it was a good idea to build a trim for every taste. Call the vinyl roof thing a Ghia all you want, it was a 'Brougham' and looked ridiculous, even then.
The oil Crisis and EPA denutted the performance versions.
- The Mach I was an obese piece of crap but it still threw you back in the seat, as long as you were willing to pay the 8 MPG price.

Yes, about half the Mustang II's you saw on the street were fugly cars, the rest.. at least to me.. showed potential. Then difference that paint and trim made was remarkable.
See here.
Now my idea of restoring old cars is different than most of my age group. If all you want is to replicate the past, more power to you.. but don't act as if those were wonderful works of engineering and dont tell me how 'they dont build em like that anymore'.. 'cuz I'll just laugh at you.

I'm a resto-modder at heart and that means taking an old car and building it like it should have been or could be built now. That's why my favorite modder to follow was the guy who did the SN65.

First though when I go to find my car, I'm not going to go for the Cobra II or any of the other M II's that were significant and deserve restoration, I'd go for a simple plain jane coupe. Maybe a Fastback but those direly need a flip-tail to look right. After all, I'm just going to use the basic chassis and sheet metal.

First Mod: Radius those wheel wells! Most people dont realize the ridiculous fender flares and semi-flank wheel cutout is what contribute most to the style yuck factor. Wish I was good at photoshop {and actually had it, I could easily illustrate that}

But first, measure mark figure, measure again and find a way to:
Move the front axle centerline forward 1.5 to 2 inches. the Reason for that is to improve the sucky front-back weight distribution; and second, improve the looks.
Reason to do that first is so I know how/where to chop/channel the front and inner fenders. To visualize that, look above and note the fender flare would start right behind the side marker lite, and there would be 2 additional inches of meat from the fender-door gap. Maybe 1", if I increased base radius but that would also depend how drastic I had to cut for the rear wheel well. Obviously the front and rear must match.
Moving the suspension itself should not be that big a deal. After all it's a favorite of street rodder just because of its unitary nature.

The finished car would have a late model powertrain and primarily street worthy, possibly IRS from MN12, all the late model comforts and enough juice in all aspects to wow those guys at the Friday Cruises .. the same as thought that car was only good for street rod front axles.

·
Registered
966 Posts

1970 Ford Torino Cobra FTW :headbang:

I wouldn't street rod it or anything, just have it so it looks nice, and I can roast the tires when im feeling good :)

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Other cars.... I just would like to finish ANY of my current car/boat projects!!! :beek: :bawling:

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Easy. Late 90's/early 2000's Subaru Impreza RS with a fully built STi engine/drivetrain/interior swap.

I'm going to pick up something in a year or so for my next project car...I might try to make this a reality. It's a ton of work but I'd love every minute of it.

Also wouldn't mind getting my hands on a 68-72 Nova SS project.

·
Registered
208 Posts

This was my dream project before I start my tbird.

·
Registered
208 Posts

65 Chevy truck

·
Registered
267 Posts
OK pettyfog. Great idea but carrying it out would be lots of work. Old guys rule and I like the way you think.

Most of the Mustang folks won't even acknoledge that the Mustang II exists. I had a 2+2 with the Cologne 2.8 V6 and four speed. It was respectable but being a Florida car it succumbed to rust in the hatch and under the cowl. I even think Ford was surprised at the sales success that the Mustang II was.

As to the IRS from an MN-12. Now that would require major modification and add lots of weight. The half shafts would end up being 3" long. Shortening the upper and lower control arms would probably ruin the mechanics of the whole thing if it could be done. Remember you are talking "Pinto" chassis.

It would be cool.

·
Super Moderator
16,840 Posts
Other cars.... I just would like to finish ANY of my current car/boat projects!!! :beek: :bawling:
This!

But seriously, I can think up a project out of just about anything I see that tickles my fancy, I even had the thought recently of 09-11 Focus Coupe with a Coyote swap using the same method used for the terminator swaps into the hatches that were done some time back.

As for the Mustang II, the fatal flaw of it's existence was naming it that alone. It automatically turned the car into a sequel and like most, it failed to top the original. It didn't revolutionize the industry, it wasn't exiting, there were no convertibles(due to safety concerns across the industry at the time), and it was a HUGE departure from the 71-73 it replaced in not just size but styling evolution. They just lazily drew a 65 Mustang, made a few styling tweaks to fit it onto a pinto chassis and sent out the door. Iaccoca made some excellent decisions in his hay day but also laid some huge logs for everyone to live with in the process, the Mustang II is one of them. Followed by the K car and the minivan.

Personally I think the two ugliest parts of the II (that I'm not sure how I'd address) would be the Bumpers and the blunt/squared up front end. I agree all of your tweaks would drastically improve it though, I always found them pretty good from the side looking from the beltline up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
1956 Ford F100 Pickup Truck

fenix I am drooling.... gotta love the old trucks.
I always dream to have a truck like my grandpa a 65 Chevy truck I always remember the long trips we use to take my dad my g.p. and me togheter in that old truck!!

The 56 Ford truck is like the one at stallone's movie the expendables??? That truck is beautiful!! I like the flat black color!!

·
Registered
975 Posts

My dad's 1964 Chevelle Malibu...I'm going to finish the restore on this once I have a proper garage to put it in. I'm not going to drag it from mom's house down here to sit outside in a parking lot and get destroyed.

My dad passed back in December, so its going to get restored in his memory.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That year Malibu was a great car! And that really looks good!

This!

But seriously, I can think up a project out of just about anything I see that tickles my fancy, I even had the thought recently of 09-11 Focus Coupe with a Coyote swap using the same method used for the terminator swaps into the hatches that were done some time back.

As for the Mustang II, the fatal flaw of it's existence was naming it that alone. It automatically turned the car into a sequel and like most, it failed to top the original. It didn't revolutionize the industry, it wasn't exiting, there were no convertibles(due to safety concerns across the industry at the time), and it was a HUGE departure from the 71-73 it replaced in not just size but styling evolution. They just lazily drew a 65 Mustang, made a few styling tweaks to fit it onto a pinto chassis and sent out the door. Iaccoca made some excellent decisions in his hay day but also laid some huge logs for everyone to live with in the process, the Mustang II is one of them. Followed by the K car and the minivan.

Personally I think the two ugliest parts of the II (that I'm not sure how I'd address) would be the Bumpers and the blunt/squared up front end. I agree all of your tweaks would drastically improve it though, I always found them pretty good from the side looking from the beltline up.
Well.. yeah, all of what you say.. BUT..
A: If I was doing a truck, it would be the F-100, but too many of them have been botched up and that's what I'd have to buy to start with then find some of the original stuff they tossed. My version wouldnt be any more comfort to the restorer but it wouldnt be extreme looking either.

And Iacocca also did pretty much the same for the original, it was a falcon under it all.
I dont agree on the K and the Minivan. Between them, they saved Chrysler. Better than the other cars in their line that slapped sheet metal on Mitsus and crap VW engines in them.
The Minivan is a great idea and stays a great idea. Better than the SUV. Your only problem is who buys and drives them, fess up!
The Bumpers - what can you say about mandated styling? I'd find a way to ease that eyesore. But it turned out that the mandate worked. That's the maddening thing. Because some mandates work, like the collision and fuel econmy/ emissions got us airbags and Port FI, they just keep on a coming.

·
Registered
208 Posts

My dad's 1964 Chevelle Malibu...I'm going to finish the restore on this once I have a proper garage to put it in. I'm not going to drag it from mom's house down here to sit outside in a parking lot and get destroyed.

My dad passed back in December, so its going to get restored in his memory.
That's a sweet ride sat night my bird and Sunday morning in one like that to go with the wife to take brakefast!!!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
{I thought I saw a thread like this when I first came on here.. showed up in a search, I think, but now can't find it. If Mods know where it is, just append this to it.}

I'm too old, too lazy and too broke.. but my #1 fantasy project is this car:

Now before you laugh, a story:
In early eighties my boss and I were going to lunch and someone drove through the lot with a nicely trimmed and painted M II. My boss said: "That is one effin ugly car!"

I said "You dont like Mustangs?" He said "That's no Mustang, the Mach I is a Mustang". {See one here.}

I just turned and grinned and made a show of shoving my finger down my throat. I was also a little surprised because he drove an Avanti, and later he collected a Cad Allante so it's not like he just went with the flow.

But I considered every mustang from 68 on to have an overweight problem and the 'reset' to a pony size car to be the right idea. The problem in the execution was two-fold:

For some reason Iacocca thought it was a good idea to build a trim for every taste. Call the vinyl roof thing a Ghia all you want, it was a 'Brougham' and looked ridiculous, even then.
The oil Crisis and EPA denutted the performance versions.
- The Mach I was an obese piece of crap but it still threw you back in the seat, as long as you were willing to pay the 8 MPG price.

Yes, about half the Mustang II's you saw on the street were fugly cars, the rest.. at least to me.. showed potential. Then difference that paint and trim made was remarkable.
See here.
Now my idea of restoring old cars is different than most of my age group. If all you want is to replicate the past, more power to you.. but don't act as if those were wonderful works of engineering and dont tell me how 'they dont build em like that anymore'.. 'cuz I'll just laugh at you.

I'm a resto-modder at heart and that means taking an old car and building it like it should have been or could be built now. That's why my favorite modder to follow was the guy who did the SN65.

First though when I go to find my car, I'm not going to go for the Cobra II or any of the other M II's that were significant and deserve restoration, I'd go for a simple plain jane coupe. Maybe a Fastback but those direly need a flip-tail to look right. After all, I'm just going to use the basic chassis and sheet metal.

First Mod: Radius those wheel wells! Most people dont realize the ridiculous fender flares and semi-flank wheel cutout is what contribute most to the style yuck factor. Wish I was good at photoshop {and actually had it, I could easily illustrate that}

But first, measure mark figure, measure again and find a way to:
Move the front axle centerline forward 1.5 to 2 inches. the Reason for that is to improve the sucky front-back weight distribution; and second, improve the looks.
Reason to do that first is so I know how/where to chop/channel the front and inner fenders. To visualize that, look above and note the fender flare would start right behind the side marker lite, and there would be 2 additional inches of meat from the fender-door gap. Maybe 1", if I increased base radius but that would also depend how drastic I had to cut for the rear wheel well. Obviously the front and rear must match.
Moving the suspension itself should not be that big a deal. After all it's a favorite of street rodder just because of its unitary nature.

The finished car would have a late model powertrain and primarily street worthy, possibly IRS from MN12, all the late model comforts and enough juice in all aspects to wow those guys at the Friday Cruises .. the same as thought that car was only good for street rod front axles.
My friend had one that looked just like this, with a 302 and a 4 barrel. It was a nice car:

I never noticed the wheel wells before but you're right, it makes the car look fat.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My friend had one that looked just like this, with a 302 and a 4 barrel. It was a nice car:

I never noticed the wheel wells before but you're right, it makes the car look fat.
Maybe I'm wrong but this kind of mustangs share the same design as the Ford falcon isn't???

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong but this kind of mustangs share the same design as the Ford falcon isn't???
Nope, the 1964-1973 Mustangs were Falcon based, the 1974-1978 Mustang II was on a glorified Pinto chassis.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks raptor one more thing I learn today!!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Thanks raptor one more thing I learn today!!
Thanks, np. :)

I honestly dont know why the Mustang II gets so much flak...

·
Registered
966 Posts
1 - 20 of 73 Posts