TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone that has the 3.8 sfi engine know the top speed of either cougar/thunderbird?

·
Registered
604 Posts
speed limiter for me kicked in at around 105-110mph. The cop got me at 108mph on the radar :(

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I've hit 117-120 in both V-6 Cougars of mine. Think that has something to do with pre '94 since everyone talks about 105-107mph, which is what I get with a V-8

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've been 150mph and backed out the speedo was burried, however I had my friend in his '02 Z28 run along side. I think that is plenty fast for me. I don't plan on seeing where the Z rated tires stop gripping!

The weather was high 80's and high humidity............hey its Florida what do ya want?

·
Registered
218 Posts
After removal of said speed limiter, my 95 hit 120 when the vibration from my el-cheapo tires put the fear of god into me. It was still gaining with another 1,500 RPMs to red line when I backed off. I'd say the top speed is somewhere around 135-145 with my 3.27:1 rear. But I'll probably never find out.

I'm sure most of you know already, but just in case you don't...Ford did put that speed limiter on these cars for a reason. The driveshaft and 4R70W torque converter have been known to fly into pieces at anything above 110 MPH. So you are really tempting fate if you remove the limiter and don't upgrade the drivetrain. Just a heads up. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
In 1990 Motor Trend Mag. reported they tested a 1990 Super Coupe in top spped ability and endurance. They reported back that a SC could consistantly run a 135 mph for 8 hrs with no wear on suspension, drivetrain, or motor. So I think I'll be OK turning the tripple figures.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've taken my '91 LS 3.8 to 140 once. That was when my friend's Integra hit a power wall.....

Yes, both my '91 and his Integra has "mods".....

Hehehehehe..... *Eg*

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I had 110, bro said he had 120 a couple times. 3.8L, stock.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, you're right Blownmerc...

The speed limiter thing only applies to the LX 4.6 & 3.8. The SC and XR-7 (supercharged) were designed to handle higher speeds.

My LX doesn't feel ok doing 75 anymore. I got to get me one of those SC's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts