TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. hoping someone can help. i have a 97 cougar with 4.6l & auto trans. problem car has been ideling real high lately, sometimes normal but then will jump high again. searched on here and cannot find any vacum leaks and is not showing any codes. i did un hook the IAC and car dies, thats good at least i know that is working. recently replaced the MAF sensor and there was no trouble before or after that with any ideling issues. i did un hook the TP sensor and the ideling dropped to normal( about 600-700 rpm) but it will not downshift running like this. could the TP sensor be the problem. i could not find any posts on that. seems to me a no brainer since it ideled down after i unhooked it but.........i though i would check here before buying one.

thanks for any help

·
5,650 Posts
What have you done to be absolutely sure there are NO vacuum leaks? Did you go all the way down to the EVAP stuff?

If you want to test the TPS, hook up a multimeter to two of the wires. I can't remember which colors they are specifically right now, but with the key on throttle closed you should see something like 0.90V. To test it, the TPS should output less than 1.0V when the throttle is closed, and the voltage should increase steadily as you slowly open the throttle. It should not dip or spike. Finally, it should be close to or above 4.5V when the throttle is fully open.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Maybe the TP sensor is sending to high of a single in which it'll make it seem like the throttle is open wen it really isn't my $.02 has it always done this or just recently........does it do it wen cold or hot start ups or all the time....

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Maybe the TP sensor is sending to high of a single in which it'll make it seem like the throttle is open wen it really isn't my $.02 has it always done this or just recently........does it do it wen cold or hot start ups or all the time....
just some friendly advice...ditch the mark maf and injectors and use stock hardware until you can get your computer tuned for non-stock hardware...repeat after me: mafs are not calibrated for injectors

·
Banned
21 Posts
just some friendly advice...ditch the mark maf and injectors and use stock hardware until you can get your computer tuned for non-stock hardware...repeat after me: mafs are not calibrated for injectors
Again it did it wen it was bone stock so then wut I've replaced 3 sets of plugs and wires a fuel filter fuel pump o2 sensors and I know they aren't programed for them I'm not totally incompetent to cars I'm asking because I've tried every trick I can think of trying to get some others advise

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
Again it did it wen it was bone stock so then wut I've replaced 3 sets of plugs and wires a fuel filter fuel pump o2 sensors and I know they aren't programed for them I'm not totally incompetent to cars I'm asking because I've tried every trick I can think of trying to get some others advise
Then go back to stock and fix the problem.

Tossing random other parts at it won't fix it, it just wastes money.

RwP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts