TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today's project: a continuation of the suede theme, plus the addition of some Pacific Green in the interior.

Let me start by saying that this didn't come out perfect; I relied on YouTube tutorials. I'm happy with the look though.

How-To

Obtain an old leather shift knob, cut the stitching and remove the leather. Remove any goo or old adhesive.

Use double-sided carpet tape (or your adhesive of choice) to attach suede (details in my other suede post).

Attach to the shift knob. Start stitching using the Baseball stitch pattern. This took all afternoon for me; again, I'm new to this.

Have fun!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great, I'm going to attempt a wood grain looking shift handle from a Taurus. Was there an option like that in the t-birds? Can't see a lot of it but that looks like a DAMN NICE rig!!!🙏
Thank you.

I think the faux wood Taurus shift knob would not be a direct fit because it doesn't have an O/D button and it's attached with screws instead of the U-clip. I think it could fit a face-lift Mark VIII (assuming you relocate the O/D button).

I saw a while back that someone made custom real wood shift knobs for pre-face-lift Mark VIII, which would also fit Thunderbird and Cougar. Hold on; I'll try to find the link.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Rangerguy302, here's the link. Pricey, plus this post is 14 years old.

·
Super Moderator
13,155 Posts
Take it to an upholstery shop, especially one that does boats. Dude here recovered mine in leather, and rebuilt the inner foam. He said it was all black goo, turned back into the oil it came from, lol. $50, it was well worth it.

Reactions: supergordo

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,978 Posts
Take it to an upholstery shop, especially one that does boats. Dude here recovered mine in leather, and rebuilt the inner foam. He said it was all black goo, turned back into the oil it came from, lol. $50, it was well worth it.
Lack of spare lever = no parking brake in manual trans car while it's out

Plus I'm too cheap and to pay someone to do it lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts