TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New job keeps me away from home a month at a time. Just got off boat yesterday at 2pm.
Im an offshore geological survey technician. :zdunno:

I was away from home family and car for a whole 32 days this time.
Time to spend some of my hard earned money. :D

Well I may post some pics of my time surveying the ocean blue if anyone interested. After next hitch ill take some pics of all the equipment and computers that run it all.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Welcome back, I know a few people that work off shore and make a ton of money at it, no geological survey technicians though :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sure the series is not called "Deadliest Catch" for nothing. Most of us out here helps you speed down the track with some good'ol prime USA petroleum products.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
ITT-BIRD said:
Im an offshore geological survey technician. :zdunno:

Well I may post some pics of my time surveying the ocean blue if anyone interested. After next hitch ill take some pics of all the equipment and computers that run it all.

Dude, I see your 23? Did you already recieve a BA or BS. I am curious because Environmental Science/Geographical Systems is my major in school. I would like to eventually get a job with the USGS but I know it's probably like trying to pull teeth. I need to at least recieve my BA. Did you know somebody who got you in?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool Dude said:
Dude, I see your 23? Did you already recieve a BA or BS. I am curious because Environmental Science/Geographical Systems is my major in school. I would like to eventually get a job with the USGS but I know it's probably like trying to pull teeth. I need to at least recieve my BA. Did you know somebody who got you in?
Nah ... im on the end of going out and putting the equipment out and retrieving the data for the geologist to decypher. Our company, Tesla Offshore, only has one liscenced geologist, Curtis Chaney.
Basically my job is to run the surveying equipment. Ie. sonar, subbottom, sparker, magnamometer, fathometer, and navigation systems. We set the equipment, run the selected area, then send all the data back to the office for processing.
My computer background, Associates in Info tech, helped me get the job, along with my strong mechanical background also.

We stay onboard for about 28/14. We set equipment and keep logs to turn into the Uscg and clients. We mainly just have to make sure that all equipment stays in spec and make necessary adjustments to keep in specs.

Sorry, Im not quite in the position you want to be in. Which would be better than mine though.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would be interested in any pictures that you would have, so feel free to post them.
My son loves looking at anything that has to do with the ocean.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
turtlem227 said:
I would be interested in any pictures that you would have, so feel free to post them.
My son loves looking at anything that has to do with the ocean.
They didnt come out quite as well as i wanted to but ... here it goes...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Cool Dude said:
Those are some nice pics. Is that the Atlantic, Pacific, or Gulf? I don't really know what South of the NO means. lol
That's south of New Orleans, so it would be the gulf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts