TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some of the problems with my car. I have a 1994 Thunderbird, with 32k miles. I'm not sure if it's worth fixing, or if I should just replace it.

1. Windshield fluid does not come out, instead it is leaking somewhere, as I can see it on the ground. Is this worth fixing? If so, is it a hard job?

2. My hazard lights do not come on.

3. My passenger side window motor or gear is out. I can hear something moving, but the window doesn't go down. I once got it to go down, and it wouldn't go back up, until I had to help it up by forcing it.

4. My passenger side seat's electric adjusters do not work. I can hear a noise when I press it, but the seats will not move forward or backwards, just up and down. My drivers side moves, but has a hard time as well. Should I replace these with manual adjusters, or can I find gears/motors to replace them for cheap?

Thanks all I can think of for now. Other then that, my new Thunderbird is a great car.

·
5,650 Posts
1. You have to trace the line from the reservoir to find where it is leaking from. It's very easy to do, just takes time. Is it worth having that feature to you?

2. The multifunction switch (aka blinker or turn signal switch) might be bad, but check the fuses first.

3. This is common. Check SuperCoupePerformance.com for a repair kit.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
4. My passenger side seat's electric adjusters do not work. I can hear a noise when I press it, but the seats will not move forward or backwards, just up and down. My drivers side moves, but has a hard time as well. Should I replace these with manual adjusters, or can I find gears/motors to replace them for cheap?
=

Are you able to move the seat by pushing the seat while using the electric controls? The seat in my car would stop moving...a little push helped...then a good check of the track mechanism (cleaned out debris...).

I've not heard of a gear kit for the seat motors. Salvage yard may yield motors...but condition may be unknown.

·
Registered
163 Posts
honeslty...If those are your only problems your doing well. My 94 has 132k on it and have already put $$$ in it within a month of buying it. Would you really consider getting rid of it because of a few small problems that don't prevent you from driving it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
1. Windshield fluid does not come out, instead it is leaking somewhere, as I can see it on the ground. Is this worth fixing? If so, is it a hard job?

Its not a hard fix, new tubing from tank to wipers. Hardest part is routing it.

2. My hazard lights do not come on.

Like Chris stated, check the fuse, if the multifunction switch is bad buy a NEW one on Ebay for ~ $40.00. Very easy to replace.

3. My passenger side window motor or gear is out. I can hear something moving, but the window doesn't go down. I once got it to go down, and it wouldn't go back up, until I had to help it up by forcing it.

SuperCoupePerformance.com is the go to source. Bill has the 3 plastic buttons that you need to replace in the window regulator/motor assembly.

Pull the seats and clean the tracks. Make sure the wiring is good to all the motors and lube the gears and tracks. I have the same problem in my Tbird but I don't sit in the passenger seat so its no big deal. When I cleaned the drives side it fixed the problems.

32K on a 94 is very low mileage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1. Check for a small plastic filter about half way along the line along near the strut tower. It gets brittle from all the heat and cracks easally. Just replace it with a peice of straight tubing and it will be fine.

2. Multifunction switch or flasher module. Most likely the first as it is a weak link.

3. gear plugs have disigrated in the motor gear box. Look in the autozone help section for window regulator gear plugs part #74410. Should be the same part number for other part stores as well.

4. Clean and lubricate the tracks first. Also try loosening the bolts that hold them to the floorboard and see if they will behave then. if they are bolted out of alignment then they will jam real easy. if the seat feels flimsy like it wants to lean back easy they may have broke on the top portion. The metal on the top half of the power seat assembly is a little too thin and breaks near where the controls are. since it is a 94, any power seat track from a 89 to 97 will work fine. Most U-pull-it junk yards will sell them for $10 to $20 Manual seat tracks will also work, but the drivers side is hard to find. I have only seen them in low option 97s

·
Administrator
8,032 Posts
Windshield fluid does not come out, instead it is leaking somewhere, as I can see it on the ground. Is this worth fixing? If so, is it a hard job?
Double check the reservoir itself to make sure that's not leaking.

Joe

·
Registered
219 Posts
why throw away a good car you like for those issues . all you have to say is i like it and it's automatically worth fixing . i'd rather spend the money and time on my bird or my 53 than any new car my wife or kids all drive . mine are better made and just generally better period . any 15 plus year old car that has survived the rigors of daily use , time , and the idiots that owned them has proven it's worth and value ! so yep fix it , it's worth it .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts