TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the Super Coupe springs ride any lower then regular springs. Better question I guess would be, is the Super Coupe lower then a regular v8 LX T-Bird (minus ground effects of course)?

I'm thinking of going to Super Coupe springs if I can find them vs going back to stock so at least it will handle a little better and not bottom out on these crappy roads. I LOVE my Eibach springs ride height, perfect imo, but I'm going to start driving my car in winters :(. I do wish the fronts were stiffer, but that's another topic.

Also, anyone try Moog replacement springs? Any info on them like spring rates, do they ride higher or lower then stock? I read a horror story on one of the LS1 forums of a Camaro owner using Moog, and it looked like a 4x4 afterwords LOL.

Thanks,
-Dave

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
sc springs are actually going to make you sit higher than lx springs.

-John

·
Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
SC springs will put you pretty close to factory ride height, possibly just a little bit higher. They definitely handle way better than stock LX springs though.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I would imagine that your 4.6 LX weighs at least as much as a SC, so SC springs will put it at the same height as a SC or maybe a hair lower, not enough you'ld notice .... but higher than your current Eibachs.

My '95 4.6 LX is going to get some slightly short SC / Sport springs one day.

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
it is a fact that sc springs will make an lx sit higher. car weight difference (i believe about 200 lbs for an sc to an lx 4.6) is not the only factor. ford made the scs sit a little higher so those gay ass side skirts would have the same ground clearance as an lx.

-John

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,629 Posts
There isn't 200 lbs in GFX and ride actuators that add up to that. SC's generally were sold loaded (sunroofs, power passenger seat, Leather with fold down, JBL audio, ect) so when you compare a non abs drum brake, base audio, non sunroof LX to one of those, then maybe you'll get the 200lb addition. Otherwise put identical options between the two(other than the folddown) They will probably be within ~50 lbs of each other.

They were probably raised a tad for ground clearance though, those rear bumpers are much lower than the LX

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
My current bird, with stock SC springs, sits noticably higher than my 95 with stock LX springs....then again my wheel/tire package is causing the car to ride a bit on the high side too.

·
Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
No, both are the exact same spring.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
From my earlier post: "SC springs will put it at the same height as a SC or maybe a hair lower"

I don't believe you will know the difference.

SC and Sport used same springs. My '92 Sport when sitting on stock Sport springs was pretty near tha same height as my stock '95 LX on LX springs.

I don't believe SCs with skirts had as much ground clearence.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
i have a lot of weight in my trunk, and i was hoping i could swap some SC/Sport springs under the rear to help pick it back up. You guys think this will work? I was hoping not to have to buy aftermarket. Also need to do UCA bushings back there too, maybe an SC swaybar, and pumpkin too.... but anyways, will those springs not sag as much?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
They have a higher spring rate, they will thus sag less with each additional pound.

Some have AirLift airbags in their springs, I have a set in my Mercury GM for when I haul a trunk load on trips, etc. Makes rear stiff when unloaded though ..... way stiff .... so need to let air out then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts