TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did anyone see the Top Gear episode where they took the Fiat 500 Abarth for a spin.

135 hp (or 160 hp) in a car the size of my Aspire!! :beek:

Well, it may make it's way to the US:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/29/report-four-versions-of-fiat-500-in-the-u-s-by-2011-including/

Fiat 500 Abarth
ENGINE 1.4L, four cylinders
POWER 135bhp @ 5500rpm (the SS version has 160hp)(my Aspire's is 65 hp)
TORQUE 152lb ft @ 3000rpm (my Aspire's is 75 ft lbs)
CURB WEIGHT: 2205 lbs (my Aspire is 2000 lbs)
TRANSMISSION Five-speed manual
FUEL 52.3mpg
ACCELERATION 0-60mph: 7.9sec
TOP SPEED 127mph
PRICE From £13,800 approx ($22,850 @ today's exchange rate)

This car would have to be a blast to drive!!! :beek:

And at 52 mpg.... I would live with that! :D

I know a lot of you guys think small cars are stupid, but considering 52 mpg...

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Did anyone see the Top Gear episode where the took the Fiat 500 Abarth for a spin.

135 hp (or 160 hp) in a car the size of my Aspire!! :beek:

Well, it may make it's way to the US:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/29/report-four-versions-of-fiat-500-in-the-u-s-by-2011-including/

Fiat 500 Abarth
ENGINE 1.4L, four cylinders
POWER 135bhp @ 5500rpm (the SS version has 160hp)(my Aspire's is 65 hp)
TORQUE 152lb ft @ 3000rpm (my Aspire's is 75 ft lbs)
CURB WEIGHT: 2205 lbs (my Aspire is 2000 lbs)
TRANSMISSION Five-speed manual
FUEL 52.3mpg
ACCELERATION 0-60mph: 7.9sec
TOP SPEED 127mph
PRICE From £13,800 approx ($22,850 @ today's exchange rate)

This car would have to be a blast to drive!!! :beek:

And at 52 mpg.... I would live with that! :D

I know a lot of you guys think small cars are stupid, but considering 52 mpg in a
Yep-watched it last night. Seems to me like it would be a very nice alternative to small cars that are available now.
JL

·
Registered
335 Posts
I wonder if they would re-name it and sell as a Chrysler.
I hope not, I want it small and light.

I would absolutely love one! Maybe it'll be time to trade in my crown vic before too long... Or maybe I'll wait until I can get one used.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yep-watched it last night. Seems to me like it would be a very nice alternative to small cars that are available now.
JL
Very true none of the small cars today of are truly a small car when you look at their weights. The closest thing on our market today in weight is the Mazda Miata which is about 2500lbs thing is it gets horrendous fuel economy for its size and power a 2.0 with 167 hp but only gets 21/28. Pretty crappy considering Chevy's Cobalt SS gets 22/30 has a turbo charged 260hp 2.0 and can run 13's stock. I guess the only other option is the Mini which really is a better car on paper handles as well the Mazda seats more and gets better fuel economy even in ‘S’ trim.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very true none of the small cars today of are truly a small car when you look at their weights. The closest thing on our market today in weight is the Mazda Miata which is about 2500lbs thing is it gets horrendous fuel economy for its size and power a 2.0 with 167 hp but only gets 21/28. Pretty crappy considering Chevy's Cobalt SS gets 22/30 has a turbo charged 260hp 2.0 and can run 13's stock. I guess the only other option is the Mini which really is a better car on paper handles as well the Mazda seats more and gets better fuel economy even in ‘S’ trim.
I don't know, there are still some tiny cars out there (but sadly they get piss poor fuel economy, combined is listed):
Toyota Yaris: 2300 lbs (106 hp/103 ft lb) 32 mpg
Chevy Aveo: 2500 lbs (106 hp/105 ft lb) 30 mpg
Honda Fit: 2500 lbs (118 hp/107 ft lb) 31 mpg

And then we have the Ford that won't make it to our shores... :zbash:
Ford Fiesta: 2500 lbs (90 hp/150 ft lb Diesel as one of 5 available engines) high 50's mpg

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
the reason i hate these tiny ass cars is....you drive down the freeway what do yah see lots of big rigs now tiny car vs. big rig who wins? look at the smart car that thing in the crash test rating pig ponged everywhere.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
. I guess the only other option is the Mini which really is a better car on paper handles as well the Mazda seats more and gets better fuel economy even in ‘S’ trim.
But,that thing is a big steaming pile of crap that you can't keep a trans in,and of course,there's only one vendor for them-BMW.
JL

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
the reason i hate these tiny ass cars is....you drive down the freeway what do yah see lots of big rigs now tiny car vs. big rig who wins? look at the smart car that thing in the crash test rating pig ponged everywhere.
And yet the cabin structure was in good shape and I would guess survivability is high. I like crumple zones and car body shedability, but I think it holds up very well.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I hope not, I want it small and light.

I would absolutely love one! Maybe it'll be time to trade in my crown vic before too long... Or maybe I'll wait until I can get one used.
Or if the Vic is payed for, you could just get the Fiat and put in the trunk as a "spare" in case of emergencies :D

Jay

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
And yet the cabin structure was in good shape and I would guess survivability is high. I like crumple zones and car body shedability, but I think it holds up very well.
thats fine but you're not going to walk away from it because of how much you get tossed around. airbags deflate quite rapidly so after the the 1st impact the other impacts are what is going to cause injuries. not to mention there is more then just 1 impact in a colission you have the accident then the people be slammed into the car then you have you're internal organs getting slammed around inside your rib cage. so now that you bounced 3 times or so you have 9 impacts you nask me the odds are against you on that.

·
Super Moderator
7,655 Posts
Just because the cabin structure stays intact doesn't mean you aren't going to get hurt, it just means you aren't going to get crushed. It is very rare that people get crushed in an accident anyway, what is much more common is they experience so many G's that the body can't take it, and the laws of physics can not be avoided in this matter. If you are in a 2000lb car, and get hit by a 4000lb car, you are going to experience much higer G's than if you were in the same accident in a 4000lb car.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Where did you get that fuel economy number? Remember that an imperial gallon (used in UK) is bigger than a US gallon. 1 US gallon = 0.8 imperial. The number just seems really good.

Also the Ford Fiesta is coming here early next year.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/2011fiesta/
When I wnt to school .8 was less than 1. Did you mean an imperial gallon is smaller than a US gallon?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
When I wnt to school .8 was less than 1. Did you mean an imperial gallon is smaller than a US gallon?
If one US gallon = .8 imperial gallons then 1 imperial gallon is 1.25 US gallons. So a US gallon is larger.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="up">
in a place far far
away there was a war....

MATH WARS!!!!!​
<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="up">

LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts